HELP: Have hatch pattern but cannot align hatch pattern exactly.

Firstly, great, but how did you find out the exact scale & angle?

2ndly, is it possible to find out the exact origin point?

I already gave you two ways to find and change that information. And I'm the one that's slow on the uptake, today.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vernonlee

• ReMark

• eldon

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How far are your hatches from the origin (0,0)? What units are you drawing in? What exactly are you drawing? Seems quite large to me.

500 scale for the Hatch Pattern, what are the Hexes representing?

Check on here and other AutoCAD fora, you will find (particularly certain complicated hatch patterns) get to acting strange when very far (and actually what far is seems to vary) from 0,0.

Just something to look into.

vernon:

When one does a LIST on the original hex hatch pattern the angle and scale are listed as being 102 and 500 respectively. When one tries to duplicate this using those values the hatch pattern is way too large and slightly off kilter.

The values I used were determined by a couple of different methods but both required exploding a copy of the original hatch pattern.

Start a new metric drawing.

Create a new layer (Layer1) and give it the color red.

Draw a rectangle.

Start the hatch command, choose the Hex pattern and for angle and scale use: 99.4316 and 19.685.

Hatch the rectangle.

Select the rectangle and hatch pattern, right-click and choose Clipboard > Copy with base point.

Now open your original drawing, right-click and choose Clipboard > Paste as block.

Overlay the block on top of your original hatch pattern as closely as you can. Do they appear to match?

Note: I am not concerned with origin at this time. I just want to see if the angle and scale match up with the original.

Thanks Remark for the help. I am out of office already.

I think the scale off the hatch may be my bad. I copied the hatch from my drawing & paste it to a blank file. So the scale may be screw up further.

I guess my main issue here is mainly the origin

vernon:

When one does a LIST on the original hex hatch pattern the angle and scale are listed as being 102 and 500 respectively. When one tries to duplicate this using those values the hatch pattern is way too large and slightly off kilter.

The values I used were determined by a couple of different methods but both required exploding a copy of the original hatch pattern.

Hi bro. Will do it tomorrow & post the result when I am back in office tomorrow.

Appreciate you assistance.

Then we are not on the same page yet as I am totally unconcerned with origin at the moment. It doesn't mean a thing if you can't duplicate the angle and scale of the hatch pattern you are trying to match.

If one sets the angle unit precision to a few more places, then the angle of the hatch is revealed as 102.21341666.

The hex hatch is from the imperial file, and a scale of 500 matches exactly.

The OP is trying to reproduce it in a metric drawing. The scale wouldn't be the same.

That is easy. Simply set the system variable MEASUREMENT to 0 before hatching. The hatch file will be the imperial file, all within a metric drawing.

Then we are not on the same page yet as I am totally unconcerned with origin at the moment. It doesn't mean a thing if you can't duplicate the angle and scale of the hatch pattern you are trying to match.

Hi. I do not mean I am not concern with scale & angle. Just that main issue is the origin. However I can do check the scale & angle as well concurrently.

If you draw ReMark's rectangle starting at 0,0 and with sides 5000, 5000, and then hatch it with the imperial hex hatch pattern at a scale of 500. You can now take this rectangle with the hatch, align it with your pattern and see exactly where the origin is (corner of rectangle).

Why is it so important to match the origin? Is this a pattern for floor tile?

Basically this is to prepare dwg for building submission

Dwg A - submitted 2013

Dwg B - same dwg now 2015 but with changes

1) Dwg A - all layer to change to single deleted layer (yellow)

2) Dwg B - Layers naming to retain. Only change all to cyan colour.

3) Overlay Dwg A over Dwg B

4) base on this overlay, whatever do not match Dwg A will need to change to magenta colour.

(Magenta colour is to indicate new works)

So for the hatch, if the patten do not align, it will not be right. You would see both cyan & yellow colour on a single wall.

Attached is what i mean

This is base on the original file so the units,scale & whatnot will be the same, to prevent further complications.

hatch 2.dwg

Edited by vernonlee

If you draw ReMark's rectangle starting at 0,0 and with sides 5000, 5000, and then hatch it with the imperial hex hatch pattern at a scale of 500. You can now take this rectangle with the hatch, align it with your pattern and see exactly where the origin is (corner of rectangle).

Hi bro, how did you determine the figure 5000 & it was done in imperial scale?

My office uses only meteric so not sure how come it is imperial.

If you want a perfect pattern forget hatch and just use Array make 1 hexagon exactly as you want, copy and move for 2nd row then array use something like cookiecutter.lsp or extrim to cut any hex's on the line. Yes it can be automated. By tyhe time I read the other 4 pages of posts I will have it done !

Hi ReMark

Done as suggested.

The hex angle & scale matches perfectly.

How did you determine the angle and scale to be 99.4316 and 19.685?

Using properties gave me 102 & 500.

Now how would you solve the origin issue?

Start a new metric drawing.

Create a new layer (Layer1) and give it the color red.

Draw a rectangle.

Start the hatch command, choose the Hex pattern and for angle and scale use: 99.4316 and 19.685.

Hatch the rectangle.

Select the rectangle and hatch pattern, right-click and choose Clipboard > Copy with base point.

Now open your original drawing, right-click and choose Clipboard > Paste as block.

Overlay the block on top of your original hatch pattern as closely as you can. Do they appear to match?

Note: I am not concerned with origin at this time. I just want to see if the angle and scale match up with the original.