Plotting standard failing

GSK

Hi All,

Recently I have noticed an error in our plotting setup. All our computer are setup to use .ctb and .pc3 files from the network, and our drawings all contain page setups that reference these. But we have 2 styles of print across 12 computers.

The blacks are the same across all the prints but the greys are thicker on some. To print grey we use RGB colours to jump the .ctb.

When using the RGB reference does AutoCAD default to a line weight not controlled by the layer? I tried setting all the LWDEFAULT variables to the same value (15) on all machines but this has not made a difference.

Has anyone else had this problem?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GSK

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

I can do this but would need to revise the company standard and apply a lot of updates. As far as i can tell the solution i have at the moment should work so if I could fix the bug that may be quicker/easier.

Wouldn't avoiding the bug be the smarter solution? Using an RGB color was probably chosen out of a lack of knowledge about how to apply screening and I have no idea how to address the differences between computers other than to not use that method.

How many different .ctb's would you need to change?

Its not that many .ctb files to change. The biggest pain will be importing the revised layer states into several hundred drawing files.

I agree that it may be the best solution long term but these things bug me so if anyone knows why the error is there in the first place it would stop me going crazy.

The settings for printing the RGB colors don't appear to be available through AutoCAD. A good place to start would be the printer drivers, as I think that is where the settings for printing RGB are. First check to see if they are all the same version, if not re-install them.

I can create the AutoLISP to update the layer states within each file with one command but how do I automate this across multiple drawing files and locations?

I can create the AutoLISP to update the layer states within each file with one command but how do I automate this across multiple drawing files and locations?

That is a separate question more appropriately placed in the LISP forum.

I will ask in the LISP forum.

Regarding the printer drivers they appear to all be the same but I will try a re install and see what happens.

This morning has been frustrating!!!

I created a new .ctb and changed the relevant layers to print using the screening settings in the .ctb rather than using the RGB colour. When I printed from AutoCAD I still have different results from the computers.

So next I re-installed the printer on both machines to make sure the drivers are the same. No change! Both computers still print differently.

To double check my printer installation I printed the same PDF file from both computers and the results were identical.

The problem must be within AutoCAD...but what and where? Unless its a hardware issue ... ?possible?

OK its definitely AutoCAD. I saved the options (.arg) out from computer A and imported them to computer B. Then if I run two instances of AutoCAD on computer B, each set to a different options profile I can print the same file two ways from one machine.

I have compared every setting within each tab of the options pop up menu and made both profiles identical...but surprise surprise the prints are still different!

Either there are gremlins in my computer or there are options changed by the .arg file that are not listed/accessible through the options pop up menu.

For now I am going apply the .arg file with the best print result to all computers. But I'd love to know what changes I am actually making when doing this.

Did you check each and every setting for printer, or alternatively, make sure you are using the same .pc3 (AutoCAD generated printer settings) file?

Yes every setting is the same in the option pop up and all sub windows. pc3 and ctb files and the same from the same location on the network. Page setups have been used inside the dwg file to maintain settings (but I have also checked these are the same).

Changing the options profile solves the issue so i know it has nothing to do with the pc3, ctb, plot/publish settings, page setups or system networking. The must be another setting somewhere...

I know the .arg file controls more option than are visible in the options pop up window (welcome screen on/off for instance) but I don't know what setting is different between the to options files. If I wanted to open the .arg files and compare the code do you know what language it would be in? or software I would need?

Have you actually verified that they are using the same .pc3 or are you just assuming that because that is the way it is set-up? By verify, I mean manually do what you think AutoCAD is doing correctly because of the way it is set-up. I hate to harp on this but I've got a feeling that something is just being looked over rather than it being something hidden.

Below are two PDF files printed from the same computer. I only changed the options profile no print settings were changed.

The result of printing to PDF and a plotter produces the same result.

Interestingly when I open these files in Photoshop PDF B includes the back ground. I'm going to suggest this difference is the reason for the change in print quality. Not sure where to change it within AutoCAD though...

PDF A.pdf

PDF B.pdf

:D

I am now so very happy.

After looking at the PDFs in Photoshop is started to look for transparency settings and found the article below.

What an absolutely pointless and annoying setting.... Autodesk WHY?!?!

The only use I can think of for this command is to play tricks on your colleagues.

http://www.cadzation.com/help/autocad_plottransparency.htm