How can you show/calc cut AND fill scenarios for a single section?

Tonybere

I have a pipe layout the runs approx. 3km and there are sections where the pipe invert will be below EG, but will require fill on top to protect and secure the pipe. Is there a method to calculate both the volume that needs to be removed AND how much fill will be needed to cover sufficiently? I am about to try creating a duplicate corridor and setting one to cut and one to fill. Not sure if this is a waste of time or not, though...

This is one way create a road the width of your pipe excavation with vertical batters this will give cut volume. Raise the invert line to the desired cover level again it will give cut fill volumes ignore cut, important here is to make new surface with the new fill included in it got back to origianl level and plot shows finished surface now.

I need to have a better think about this as I am sure better waysto do.

If I was to do this I would be doing something similar to that of Bigal; you really do need to model the fill and the final surface if you want accurate volumes.

Personally I wouldn't bother though. Specify on the plans/sections the minimum cover over the pipe and let the contractor work it (and their own volumes) out in the field assuming this is a pipeline through scrub/bush etc. If this pipeline is in a residential/built up area or runs through a future greenfield subdivision etc then it really should be modeled/designed with thought as to what will happen in the future.