Project to convert 1000 dgn's to dwg's.

GISdude

Hi all,

I've been put in charge of a project to convert roughly 1000 microstation files to autocad. I've googled, but nothing exactly fits the bill. I can put together a lisp routine to do the heavy lifting, but I'm SURE there will be hiccups along the way. The microstation files are circa 2006, so about 9 years old...

Any tips or tricks you guys willing to share? I'm doing a quick write up for my boss and we'll probably refine the process a little bit.

I feel like I'm a drafter being made into a project manager...kind of exciting

Thanks,

Perhaps a script could be written to batch process a folder full of the Microstation files but I'm not 100% sure. I suppose you could test that theory say on a folder that held only a half dozen drawings just to see what happens. I sure hope that in the process unreferenced MS linetypes don't over-inflate the drawing file though. That would be a bummer.

don't over-inflate the drawing file though. That would be a bummer.

ummm...like by how much typically? When I've received microstation files from contractors in the past, they have some weird labeling conventions for the layers. I've never understood it.

This has been asked before !!!! Yes a script IMPORTDGN DWG1 save Y.

You can set up Microstation translation tables and this improves the end result, sorry never had to do it.

My experience yes Autodesk says it can do and it does but like DANA the result wow! Lots more little scripts lisps etc to get it perfect. Dont worry about the tree that is Now "A"

Post a couple of small samples dgn & dwg as you would like it and we may be able to do some extra work on them as part of the "IMPORTDGN" script.

Microstation does a better job by exporting to .dwg than AutoCAD does on converting the .dgn to .dwg.

See if something in THIS thread at Autodesk forum helps any.

I did a couple of imports manually on some small (200kb) files, and once it's in AutoCAD the file size goes to 600kb. That could be an issue.

Again without a sample dgn & dwg who knows, secondly a blank drawing when saved is not really empty its full of stuff hence size, but it can be reduced.

I did a couple of imports manually on some small (200kb) files, and once it's in AutoCAD the file size goes to 600kb. That could be an issue.

There is one more test you should run on one of these bloated files. AutoCAD released a DGN Hotfix for AutoCAD 2012 (should work in Civil 3D too I would guess) that cleans up what they call non-essential data. The Hotfix can be downloaded from here...

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-C2-AE-dgn-hotfix-for-autocad-2012.html

Definitely give the Readme file a look too as it contains instructions on how to install and run the clean-up tool. Let us know if it makes any difference in the file size or not.

My experience of trying to import microstation files (generally from government departments...) has not been favourable.

I would be having a look at what other programs/converters are available for this and whether it will be quicker to use those possibly.

Hi all,

I've been put in charge of a project to convert roughly 1000 microstation files to autocad. I've googled, but nothing exactly fits the bill. I can put together a lisp routine to do the heavy lifting, but I'm SURE there will be hiccups along the way. The microstation files are circa 2006, so about 9 years old...

Any tips or tricks you guys willing to share? I'm doing a quick write up for my boss and we'll probably refine the process a little bit.

I feel like I'm a drafter being made into a project manager...kind of exciting

Thanks,

If you have V8i you can convert them via Batch Convert utility inside Microstation.

Also as SLW210 said, microstation can convert them better than autocad.

Tested here.

ReMark,

Thanks for the help. I'll have to have IT set this up on my machine. Of course, I'm beginning to be aware that my AutoCAD 2012 is starting to get a little out of date and will need to upgrade to 2015.

Does anyone know if PowerDraft from Microstation would be a good (cheaper) alternative? I seem to recall it was about $1800 (US), but that was 3 years ago?

Rather than buy, pay someone probably a couple of hundred $$ or even less if it can be batched. Biggest problem will be qty but with internet now. Some one here can probably help I would do for paypal money. But no Microstation.

How messy did they end up maybe post 1 here, time is ticking and thats a cost.

ReMark,

Thanks for the help. I'll have to have IT set this up on my machine. Of course, I'm beginning to be aware that my AutoCAD 2012 is starting to get a little out of date and will need to upgrade to 2015.

Does anyone know if PowerDraft from Microstation would be a good (cheaper) alternative? I seem to recall it was about $1800 (US), but that was 3 years ago?

if you can spare a few $$, i can batch it for you. let me know :D

• 1 month later...
Microstation does a better job by exporting to .dwg than AutoCAD does on converting the .dgn to .dwg.

I made a blog post about how to do this. It requires someone who has Microstation though. And like I say in the post, saving DGNs as DWG files is the only thing I know how to do in Microstation.

~Greg

http://autocadtips1.com/2015/04/30/batch-convert-dgn-to-dwg-using-microstation/