How to match viewports?

Andrew1979

I have found a major bug in an AutoCAD drawing to do with the viewports. All the existing viewports cause a crash when running export to dwg from paper space.

Anyway, I have found that adding new viewports fixes the problem. But there are a lot of viewports, and I want to make the new viewports zoom into exactly the same objects that are in model space as that of the old viewports.....quickly. Is there a way to somehow do that?

I have been clicking inside the old viewports, using the view command, saving the current view, then going to the new viewport and restoring the saved view to the new viewport......takes quite a bit of time to do.

Any suggestions?

THanks

No time to check right now, but I would think that if you were to COPY your existing viewport in place over the old one, with displacement 0,0,0,

that you would retain the view in your problematic old viewport.

Worth a try, if you haven't already. :|

EXPORTTODWG from Paperspace with a viewport? :huh:

Why are you doing that, maybe you should just begin a new layout from a copy of your current layout?

Just curious, no doubt you have a good reason. :)

ok thanks for the info, although I really have no idea how to do what you suggested. How do I set displacement? I have created a new viewport, placed it over the old viewport. Once I create the viewport the scale is totally zoomed out so do I need to adjust the scale first to match the old one?

I'm not clear on what to do and have searched the web but can't work out what to do.

Start the COPY command>

select a basepoint, one of the corner grips seems like a good choice,

enter displacement of 0,0,0 hit ENTER.

At this point you should have two identical viewports, right down to the current view in them both,

being the same as you originally had in the viewport which you copied.

It will look like you only have one, because they are exactly on top of each other,

as evidenced in the screenshot showing my Quick Properties.

Presumably, the new Copy of your old viewport will be fine, and you can then ERASE the one with which you started.

If you don't already use it, turn on SELECTION CYCLING, which will help you to figure out which of the viewports you are selecting for the ERASE command.

Give it a try, and read the commandline prompts, it is really quite simple. :)

Make sure you remember to LOCK your viewports. :wink:

copy a viewport in the same place.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

OK...copying a viewport (to show the same objects at the same scale) seems so obvious it qualifies as a no-brainer. But why would you copy a viewport over itself and then erase the original one? What does that accomplish?

All the existing viewports cause a crash when running export to dwg from paper space.

I'm with Dadgad on this. Why are you doing this?

the reason why is because I tried deleting the viewports in the drawing and tested the drawing and no crashes. So for some reason the original viewports are the issue (no idea why).

I've seen problems before where it was necessary to create a new viewport, because the original was acting strange.

I would trace an outline over the viewport then CHSPACE into the model, you can then Zoom Object or Zoom Window using the Traced area of the viewport.

There should be a LISP or 2 around that will place the boundaries of the viewport into Modelspace.

Make a viewport on top of the existing but slightly larger or smaller so you can keep track of them. Use VPSYNC and pick the original and then the new one, erase the old one. Use matchprop before erasing to set the layers the same in both.

Make a viewport on top of the existing but slightly larger or smaller so you can keep track of them. Use VPSYNC and pick the original and then the new one, erase the old one. Use matchprop before erasing to set the layers the same in both.

VPSYNC? Nice one rkent, I didn't know that one, must be another of those secret society ones! :beer:

ReMark, I understand how odd it sounds to copy and erase the original, but in light

of the problem described by the OP, in his first post, it seemed like it might be (albeit odd) the way to go. :)

Edited by Dadgad

I might be blessed by the AutoCAD gods as I've never had a paper space viewport malfunction. Makes me wonder how viewports can get so screwed up.