Where is .lin for linetypes copied from another company dwg?

I have opened my acadiso and acad .lin files but the linetypes i have in the drawing i am using aren't there. In effect I have linetypes I would like to modify but because they were copied from another drawing from another company they don't appear in the support acadiso.lin file.

where do I go or how do I go about modifying these? It's been so long since doing anything like this i'm a bit rusty.

Custom linetypes won't be found in the default AutoCAD linetype files unless someone purposely put them there.

You call someone at the other company and ask them "please" send you a copy of the master linetype file or the individual files. Or.....if you have a drawing that used these linetypes run a custom lisp routine that extracts the linetype definition and writes it to a file.

NO. But i just carried on searching while i put the word out and found a lisp. Thanks for your help though, confirmed my thoughts on the linetype file not being available.

I thought that eTransmit only used to send the necessary SHX files and not the LIN files.

But they may have changed things, they are always improving.

Well in the Create Transmittal dialog box there is an Add Files button so I suppose, in theory, one could browse to the location of their linetype files and specifically include any custom linetypes. I don't think AutoCAD automatically includes .lin files on its own.

I thought that eTransmit only used to send the necessary SHX files and not the LIN files.

Right. SXH used in the drawing is still contained in an external file, therefore if not included, the drawing will not display correctly for the reciepient. Linetype definitions used in the drawing are stored within the drawing, so there's no need for eTransmit to include external .lin files.