Slow CAD on good PC?

ryeh84

My PC is as follows,

AMD FX8350 8 Core 4Ghz Black Ed CPU

8Gb RAM (1333)

SAPPHIRE R9 270X 4GB GDDR5

I brought home from work a small unit drawing to draw in 3d as we only use lt at work. I drew one 3d panel and cad is behaving like I'm trying to run it on a calculator.... it's completely unusable!

I've tried turning off hardware acceleration but it makes no difference. The drawing worked fine on my much less powerful pc at work and on my own pc right up until I drew the single 3d panel.

Am I missing something?

(Sorry it's quite brief, I just spent 45mins telling you guys all the ins and outs only to loose it all after I pressed post and it told me I wasn't logged in, even though it says welcome ryeh84 at the top of the page.)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• ryeh84

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Click on the Go Advanced button under the lower right hand corner of the Quick Reply box. At the next screen find and click on the icon for attaching an image. That's where the whole process starts.

Ok so here's the file.

Upon further investigation it seems to be at its worst when I zoom out and try to view the whole drawing. 2d & 3d objects on the screen at the same time seems to really slow it down especially when viewing in conceptual style.

Can you see anything fundamentally wrong with my PC build?

Thanks!

jmcd1.dwg

First thing I'd recommend is that you put your drawing on a diet. I ran the Overkill, -Purge (twice) and Audit commands and got the file size down from 561KB to 364KB. I then repeated the sequence and dropped the file size even lower. Finally, I WBlocked out all objects to a new drawing, put that drawing on a diet and dropped the file size down to 313KB. Now I feel it is ready to be analyzed.

BTW...your drawing went from 6378 objects with 15 groups down to 5945 objects during this process.

I'll be looking at it further on my home system which is an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor 3.0GHz with 8GB RAM and a 2GB ATI Radeon HD 4800 graphics card. I'm running AutoCAD 2015 on a Win7 Ultimate system (64-bit).

The first thing I notice is that your geometry is located quite a distance (nearest point is -130971) from 0,0,0 while the furthest point on your geometry appears to be -177669 from 0,0,0. This might be part of the problem.

The second thing I noticed is all your 2D geometry has a "Z" of 19.0000. Just curious as to why that is. I'm pretty sure it would have no negative affect on the drawing.

Question: What program was used to create this drawing? Why do I ask? Read on.

Curious about the geometry with the elevation of 19.0000 I ran the Flatten command and this so long, with so little feedback from AutoCAD I thought I had locked up my system but the one thing AutoCAD kept telling me was "A vertex was added to a 2D pline (0) which had only one vertex." Honestly, I have never seen this message before so I have no idea what it means but there were over two dozen instances of this message. It appears that all the 2D geometry did end up with an elevation of 0.0000. This step obviously was a mistake as the file size ballooned back up to 774KB. Should have left well enough alone. LoL

What I learned. It would help to pare down the file size of your drawing then I would recommend moving all of your geometry closer to 0,0,0 and see if that makes working with the drawing a little less problematic. I would not recommend running the Flatten command; leave your 2D geometry at elevation 19.0000. If I have an opportunity later I may go back and take another look but I have to move on to other things now. Perhaps another forum member will be of more help to you than I. Good luck.

Edited by ReMark

I'm a glutton for punishment.

Took another peek at your drawing (starting from scratch) and noticed some parts of the 2D geometry have a negative Z value (in the four digit range). Do you know why that would be?

Please give this drawing a test run and report back if what I did made any difference or not. Saved in 2010 file format.

jmcd1_5.dwg

Edited by ReMark

Upon further investigation it seems to be at its worst when I zoom out and try to view the whole drawing. 2d & 3d objects on the screen at the same time seems to really slow it down especially when viewing in conceptual style.

I opened the original file you provided, and the one that was cleaned by ReMark. I switched to Conceptual visual style and panned & zoomed around in both files with no trouble at all.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? See here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-enable-or-disable-hardware-acceleration-in-AutoCAD.html

6378 objects is a big drawing? Let me check what I'm working on.. selection set contains 1767994479 paper space 1127042649 model space object :lol:

Seriously.. AMD graphics cards are twitchy with AutoCAD, even with the recommended drivers. Nvidia is much better these days.

Why are people thinking it has something to do with AMD? Lol... that made me giggle. As if AMD and Intel gives you noticeable differences when editing 2D linework in real time. :roll:

Anyways, I have a ridiculously powerful laptop that my company insisted on that I hate when I have to lug it around because it weighs 50lbs, but I'm with Cad64: When I opened the drawing I saw a noticeable lag and found that it was on Conceptual Visual Style. Change it to 2D and it zips right along just fine. So it was a Visual Style issue.

Why are people thinking it has something to do with AMD? Lol... that made me giggle. As if AMD and Intel gives you noticeable differences when editing 2D linework in real time. :roll:

We're in the 3d modelling sub-forum and the OP was asking about 3d modelling?!?

I opened the original file you provided, and the one that was cleaned by ReMark. I switched to Conceptual visual style and panned & zoomed around in both files with no trouble at all.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? See here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-enable-or-disable-hardware-acceleration-in-AutoCAD.html

Anyways, I have a ridiculously powerful laptop that my company insisted on that I hate when I have to lug it around because it weighs 50lbs, but I'm with Cad64: When I opened the drawing I saw a noticeable lag and found that it was on Conceptual Visual Style. Change it to 2D and it zips right along just fine. So it was a Visual Style issue.

That gave me the giggles, apparently you didn't read the part about NO trouble in either file.

Your Super Computer must be wearing out.

That gave me the giggles, apparently you didn't read the part about NO trouble in either file.

Your Super Computer must be wearing out.

Time to lock the thread!! Haha.

:)

It's true that I didn't have any trouble viewing the drawing in conceptual mode, but I remember that being an issue for me in the past when I had a lesser computer. Conceptual mode used to really cause problems for me. My workaround was to always switch to 2D Wireframe, then do my panning and zooming, then switch back to Conceptual.

I had no trouble either but that doesn't mean there wasn't a drop in FPS while navigating. As I stated I "saw a noticeable lag" but I, too, always revert to 2D wireframe as a default. Just a general rule of thumb for me, and for most I would assume. And I meant to say I'm with ryeh84, but apparently when I scrolled up I saw Cad64's name and "Conceptual" in the post and jumped the gun on who I was referring to. So if I'm guilty of anything it would be skimming the posts too fast.

Ok so here's the file.

Thanks!

You might want to consider using ADAPTIVE DEGRADATION, which you can set to help keep your fps speed up, by deprioritizing functions which you don't typically need. You can access it on the SYSTEM tab in OPTIONS, click on the 3D PERFORMANCE settings button.

Adaptive Degradation tuning.JPG