Tools in autocad to help me placed angled measurements

Hi guys,

Im wondering how can I use autocad to find the angle of 2 measurements that I have the measurements for. My Friend is going to be doing renovations in his condo, so he asked me to do an existing floor plan for him. I went to his house to take down the measurments and when I got home to draw the plan, I ran into problems drawing angled walls because I may not have taken the dimensions down proberly.

Please see the attached file to see exactly what I'm talking about.

There is a Column is 2'-6-3/16" by 10-15/16" right beside a wall thats on an angle measuring 13-13/16 and right beside that wall is a window measuring 62.5" wide also on on an angle.

Does anyone know anytools I can use to figure out how to make these to lines connect at the right angle? (If im missing any information please ask and I'll do my best to supply it to you.)

Thanks

wall help.jpg

You might consider using the parametric drawing capability of the software.

Infered constraints might help you.

I don't use it, but look at the screenshot, to get you started.

I find it hard to believe that the internal corner by the long window is not a right angle.

Were these measurements all taken from the same side of the walls, meaning inside or outside?

parametric drawing with inferred constraints.JPG

Ya i took all of the measurements from the inside and yes the window is not right angled.

Theres other places in the condo thats right angled (The entrance, closet and a window in the living room.)

Question, just so i dont make the error again, does anyone also know, onsite what measurements would I have to take down, to make sure I have the right angles for my wall lengths? ( using only a tape measure)

Measure along two walls any amount and make a mark, the longer the better. The measure between the two marks. The most commonly used is 3 feet, and 4 feet, and then measure between those marks, if 5 feet then the angle is 90, Pythagorean's theorem. Then reproduce those lengths in autocad and you have your angle.

Ya but what about if its not a right angle???

Measure along two walls any amount and make a mark, the longer the better. The measure between the two marks. The most commonly used is 3 feet, and 4 feet, and then measure between those marks, if 5 feet then the angle is 90, Pythagorean's theorem. Then reproduce those lengths in autocad and you have your angle.

IMO, you need some diagonal dimensions to verify that the existing construction is square/parallel if you're going to draw it within 1/16 precision. The window comes out almost 45 degrees (135degrees) which seems logical "assuming" everything else is square and measured precisely.

Rotate-Reference.gif

As I said "reproduce those lengths in autocad and you have your angle." They may be 90 or they may be whatever, but with the method outlined you will have the angle, whatever that is.

The key to accurate field measurement is triangulation Your screencap has the bottom of the space cut off, but assuming there's another wall below, it would be something like below. As rkent suggested, if there aren't actual corners available, create your own reference points. It doesn't matter if the walls are square or not, you'll be measuring and reproducing the actual field conditions.

Triangulation.gif

Woa Nestly you hit it right on the nose because I did I test length from the corner of the window all the way perpendicularly down to a horizontal Door (Line) which was 190".

Everything in this room was straight except those 2 portions of this room.

Thanks for the beautiful example

By the way for construction purposes should I put the precision to 1/8?? (whats ideal)

I didnt really get your explanation, but were you saying to pick a point on both angular walls with a horizontal distance of 3ft?

"Measure along two walls any amount and make a mark, the longer the better. The measure between the two marks. The most commonly used is 3 feet, and 4 feet, and then measure between those marks, if 5 feet then the angle is 90, Pythagorean's theorem. Then reproduce those lengths in autocad and you have your angle."

Edited by Razorcad
to add in quote

A 3,4,5 triangle is most commonly used in the field to test for square.

If the sum of the squares of the sides (9 & 16) is equal to the square of the hypotenuse (the crooked one 5x5=25),

then you know you are dealing with a right triangle, or that your walls were framed reasonably close to square. :|

Of course the same holds true for multiples of 3,4,5, and the longer you go, like 6,8,10 or 9,12,15 etcetera,

the more reliable and precise they become.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/applying-the-pythagorean-theorem.html

Thanks Dadgad, but what info do I take if its not right angled?

Do I just take different reference points in the room and measure from there?

As mentioned by nestly, triangulation is the way to go. Never believe your eyes what looks like a right angle! Measure properly into corners.

Looking at those dimensions, metric would also be easier.