How to get the nice even number on stair problem???

Appologize if i posted in the wrong section, it gets more into math calculation. what is want to learn from your guy is that, when i calculate the riser dims, instead of getting the odd number like i had riser=7.84 in or 7.35 in (16 risers), what do i need to do if i want to riser to be some nice and even number like 7.75" (prefer) or 7.5 or 8 inces?. i just don't like 7.84 in since it is hard for the guys who will fabricate this stair. i try to make their life much easier. In this case, total riser is fix but i can increase the total run or angle can be more or less. i included CAD dwg. appreciate any inputs. Thanks

Note: Typo on the image, total run is 117.56 in

stair cal1.jpg

stair cal.dwg

Edited by Sengna

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sengna

• ROBP

• ReMark

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is what it is. You could of course design the house with this parameter in mind, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

You have measured the Rise from the top of the finished floor to the top of the landing or floor at the top, right?

From what material will these be made? Sorry I haven't opened the drawing, and the information may be there.

If you buy a METRIC, or a DECIMAL INCH tape for the fabricator, it gets much easier.

It is what it is. You could of course design the house with this parameter in mind, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

You have measured the Rise from the top of the finished floor to the top of the landing or floor at the top, right?

From what material will these be made? Sorry I haven't opened the drawing, and the information may be there.

If you buy a METRIC, or a DECIMAL INCH tape for the fabricator, it gets much easier.

Hi Dadgad, first of all this is not residential, it's outdoor, i want to have a stair that go up to the platform. Stair will be made of stainless steel (the stair stringers will be bend from sheet metal), the steps will be Chemgrate with handrails. I acually measured the total riser from the top of the platform to the end of the 117.56" of total run toward the left, i used horizontal reference line as datum because the floor is sloped. i like to design where i can get riser is 7.75" but the angle does not have to be 45 degree.

Hi Dadgad, first of all this is not residential, it's outdoor, i want to have a stair that go up to the platform. Stair will be made of stainless steel (the stair stringers will be bend from sheet metal), the steps will be Chemgrate with handrails. I acually measured the total riser from the top of the platform to the end of the 117.56" of total run toward the left, i used horizontal reference line as datum because the floor is sloped. i like to design where i can get riser is 7.75" but the angle does not have to be 45 degree.

ChecK your NBC minimum risers and threads dims are given of course one can build them differently but when injuries occurs because of it you will face a legal pursuit you will be hit hard.

Not sure where you are but here you have a tolerance on the rise/run so maybe you can make say the 1st step a fraction different it would have to be very little so from a walking point of view you dont notice it.

Not sure where you are but here you have a tolerance on the rise/run so maybe you can make say the 1st step a fraction different it would have to be very little so from a walking point of view you dont notice it.

absolutely, ealier i had all figured out for riser of 7.75" but the last step to the floor is great than 9" so this is not acceptable, i always concern about rule and regulation that is why i don't go more than 8". Location US.

ChecK your NBC minimum risers and threads dims are given of course one can build them differently but when injuries occurs because of it you will face a legal pursuit you will be hit hard.

very good advice Robp, i always keep that in mind.

Reference

For the safety reasons and for the comfort of usage, stair measurements are recommended to follow some guidelines:

• The run length should be 9 inches (23 cm) or longer for enough foot space.
  • The riser height should be 8.25 inches (21cm) or lower.

I would opt for a 10" to 12" thread and 1" overhang with 9"-12" run

with an 6" -9" rise

I would opt for a 10" to 12" thread and 1" overhang with 9"-12" run

with an 6" -9" rise

What is my total run would be to meet that?

It doesn't matter what the angle is, you have a rise of 117.56 and a defined number of steps, the distance between will always be 7.84.

Appologize if i posted in the wrong section, it gets more into math calculation. what is want to learn from your guy is that, when i calculate the riser dims, instead of getting the odd number like i had riser=7.84 in or 7.35 in (16 risers), what do i need to do if i want to riser to be some nice and even number like 7.75" (prefer) or 7.5 or 8 inces?. i just don't like 7.84 in since it is hard for the guys who will fabricate this stair. i try to make their life much easier. In this case, total riser is fix but i can increase the total run or angle can be more or less. i included CAD dwg. appreciate any inputs. Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53479[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]53480[/ATTACH]

No such thing as even numbers, numbers will always be the results of the total height divided by the number of steps therefore if the division is done with whatever number result will be what it will be period if total height is even divide by even the result will be even.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53479[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]53480[/ATTACH]

lower the landing .44 inches that way you have an even number to divide.

or use metric @199mm each rise and height as is at 117.56"

The guys in the shop shouldn't have any problem with measurements like 7.84 or 7.35 if they are professionals. We do this kind of thing all the time in our fabrication shop and the welders make it work.

I've done a small number of stairs and always pulled the running measurement from a fixed point at the bottom. Give your guys running dimensions from the bottom landing or anchor point to the top of each tread or something similar. Don't try to index each tread off the one below. Errors multiply fast that way.

Seems some companies must be using apprentice welders. We indicate the fixed height between stair treads once on our fabrication drawings. Amazingly enough our welders know what this means. No running heights from a fixed point or multiple instances of the same height from step-to-step, etc., etc., etc.

No such thing as even numbers, numbers will always be the results of the total height divided by the number of steps therefore if the division is done with whatever number result will be what it will be period if total height is even divide by even the result will be even.

sorry i shouldn't say "Even" number, i should say some easy fraction that is easy to work with

lower the landing .44 inches that way you have an even number to divide.

or use metric @199mm each rise and height as is at 117.56"

.44"?? how did you get that Robp?

You have to ask? Add 117.56 plus 0.44 and what do you get? Answer: a nice even number. Now divide that number by the number of risers (16). What do you get? Your welders will reward you with a big sloppy kiss for making their lives so good. Everyone goes home happy; well maybe not you. How does one explain being kissed by a group of welders?

You have to ask? Add 117.56 plus 0.44 and what do you get? Answer: a nice even number. Now divide that number by the number of risers (16). What do you get? Your welders will reward you with a big sloppy kiss for making their lives so good. Everyone goes home happy; well maybe not you. How does one explain being kissed by a group of welders?

hahaha, you just made my day Remark. By doing this my last step to the landing is .438" different than the rest, i will have to check with the stardard safety requirement.