Boolean command

OLDandPR0UD

3DS MAX QUESTION

I'm trying to create a visualisation of a roman numeral carved block of stone.

I position the text 1 mm above the block & then use the Boolean command to subtract the text from the block leaving the indentation.

Any idea why when I use the Boolean command I get the web type effect coming from the top corner? Makes it look like its tied to the corner somehow.

Thanks in advance.

IV.png

Edited by OLDandPR0UD
Clear up confusion

Well slap me upside the head and call me a fool. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.:ouch:

Thanks Tanner. I'll leave it up long enough for everyone to see my dumbasp mistake then I'll come back later and delete my posts. Hey, at least someone should get a chuckle out of this.

OK....the errant posts have left da house! Everyone can stop laughing now. Move along there's nothing to see here.:roll:

Edited by ReMark
This thread is about a 3ds Max problem not AutoCAD.

Well I obviously missed the forum it was posted under (selective seeing?). Then I looked under the OP's name and saw he had AutoCAD 2006 listed so I thought I was good to go. I either need a new right eye or more coffee.:lol:

Any idea why when I use the Boolean command I get the web type effect coming from the top corner? Makes it look like its tied to the corner somehow.

That's just your standard ordinary aftermath of the Boolean tool which is basically just a brute force method of subtracting or unioning meshes together. It always leaves behind a bit of a messy looking mesh but the lines are not usually a problem unless you need to apply a Turbosmooth modifier or something to your object. They are just the edges between polygons and do not show up when you render. You can reduce some of the Boolean mess by hitting the Tessellate button a few times before running the Boolean tool, but there will always be some degree of clean up to do afterwards. I have never Booleaned anything that didn't require at least a little clean up to delete unnecessary edges, weld vertices, etc.

Thanks for the reply Cad64, thought I was missing something.

BigAl, that's the route I currently use however AutoCad makes all curved letters look a bit blocky which in turn transfers on the stone. I will have a look at that thread you pointed out.