Dimensions and autotracking

built4thekill

Hi Guys, nneds some help here. I'm new to Autocad so forgive me if i dont use technical terms correctly...i'm having 2 issues which have suddenly popped up...i probably just pressed something by mistake. Well firstly when I used to use the distance tool, the measured distance showed up on screen like a temporary annotation. It lately has stopped showing in the drawing but only in the command line. How do I make it show in the drawing? Secondly I find the autotrack option very crucial. If for example I need to create a wall 12inches from a corner I'd just hover over the corner, move my mouse in the desired direction and type 12+enter to start the wall 12 inches from the corner...lately however after typing the number and pressing enter Autocad just sets the point (what appears to be) randomly on the drawing...any ideas why?

Type DSETTINGS in the command line, and see if Dynamic Input, and Object Snap Tracking are enabled. If not, enable them. Here is an explanation of each, and alternative methods to control these settings, copied straight out of the HELP (F1) screen.

Dynamic input is what displays info and allows input by the cursor. Object Snap Tracking is what allows you to slide the cursor in a direction, and then see a real time distance and angle displayed, (next to the cursor if Dynamic Input is on).

Dynamic input is controlled by the system variable DYNMODE. It should be set to 3.

It turns Dynamic Input features on and off.

Type: Integer

Saved in: Registry

Initial value: 3

When all features are on, the context governs what is displayed.

When DYNMODE is set to a negative value, the Dynamic Input features are not turned on, but the setting is stored.

0 All Dynamic Input features, including dynamic prompts, off

1 Pointer input on

2 Dimensional input on

3 Both pointer input and dimensional input on

If dynamic prompts are on ( DYNPROMPT is set to 1), they are displayed when DYNMODE is set to 1, 2, or 3.

When dimensional input is turned on (DYNMODE = 2 or 3), the program switches to pointer input when you enter a comma or an angle bracket (

When DYNMODE is set to 1, 2, or 3, you can turn off all features temporarily by holding down the temporary override key, F12.

Settings are on the Dynamic Input tab in the Drafting Settings (DSETTINGS) dialog box.

Object Snap Tracking There is such a lot of information in the Help file on this, that it is better if you hit the F1 key and type Object Snap Tracking into the search box yourself.

If you have Ortho Mode turned on, Object Snap Tracking does not do as much for you. Ortho overrides a lot of its functionality.

Type DSETTINGS in the command line, and see if Dynamic Input, and Object Snap Tracking are enabled. If not, enable them. Here is an explanation of each, and alternative methods to control these settings, copied straight out of the HELP (F1) screen.

Dynamic input is what displays info and allows input by the cursor. Object Snap Tracking is what allows you to slide the cursor in a direction, and then see a real time distance and angle displayed, (next to the cursor if Dynamic Input is on).

Dynamic input is controlled by the system variable DYNMODE. It should be set to 3.

It turns Dynamic Input features on and off.

Type: Integer

Saved in: Registry

Initial value: 3

When all features are on, the context governs what is displayed.

When DYNMODE is set to a negative value, the Dynamic Input features are not turned on, but the setting is stored.

0 All Dynamic Input features, including dynamic prompts, off

1 Pointer input on

2 Dimensional input on

3 Both pointer input and dimensional input on

If dynamic prompts are on ( DYNPROMPT is set to 1), they are displayed when DYNMODE is set to 1, 2, or 3.

When dimensional input is turned on (DYNMODE = 2 or 3), the program switches to pointer input when you enter a comma or an angle bracket (

When DYNMODE is set to 1, 2, or 3, you can turn off all features temporarily by holding down the temporary override key, F12.

Settings are on the Dynamic Input tab in the Drafting Settings (DSETTINGS) dialog box.

Object Snap Tracking There is such a lot of information in the Help file on this, that it is better if you hit the F1 key and type Object Snap Tracking into the search box yourself.

If you have Ortho Mode turned on, Object Snap Tracking does not do as much for you. Ortho overrides a lot of its functionality.

Setting DYNMODE to 3 solved both problems!! For some reason it was at -3. Thanks a lot for your help, you really have no idea how much I appreciate it. :)

Setting DYNMODE to 3 solved both problems!! For some reason it was at -3. Thanks a lot for your help, you really have no idea how much I appreciate it. :)
No prob. Feel free to come back with any questions or contributions at all.

Welcome to CADTutor, and the wonderful world of CAD. :)

As Dana mentioned, but could have been overlooked? :beer:

F12 will cycle your dynamic input ON or OFF, on the fly.

Or you can also do it on the Status Bar at the bottom of your screen,

and if you right click on the icon you can access the SETTINGS dialog too.

If you enjoy using DYNAMIC INPUT, take a look at the numerous display options

which are availiable in SETTINGS, as you can really tweak the display to suit your

personal style of working.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dadgad for the advice and the welcome! Sorry for not replying earlier but I've been really busy...which is a good thing :D