Revit links in view templates

kzoppo

Hi! I work in a MEP firm and we are having a difficult situation with revit links in view templates in Revit 2014. I want to be able to include VG overrides for revit links in view templates but we run into a problem with the linked view. I need each drawing to be linked to the arch's view to get any details and cut patterns but then each time something needs to be changed in what's showing in the links I have to go through each drawing and change it. Does anyone else have this situation and is there a solution I don't know about? I can't seem to find anything about it. The best thing, in my opinion, would be for autodesk to make the linked view a view type parameter instead of an instance parameter so to speak.

Thanks in advance!

If I'm reading this correctly, what you basically want is the exact View that the architectural model is showing on a particular Sheet, with all their annotations and overrides. If this is the case, then all you would need to do is set the Link (in the View Template) to "By View" and select the View that best suits your needs. An enlarged screenshot here:

http://i.imgur.com/clP1sMZ.png

One caveat, you may need to browse the Architectural Model to find the exact View you're looking for. The drop-down list of Views from the Link don't show the organizational hierarchy from the Project Browser and it can be dizzying trying to find that "one" View you need. Hope this helps. If not, clarify your inquiry in more detail and I'll continue to assist.

-TZ

If I'm reading this correctly, what you basically want is the exact View that the architectural model is showing on a particular Sheet, with all their annotations and overrides. If this is the case, then all you would need to do is set the Link (in the View Template) to "By View" and select the View that best suits your needs. An enlarged screenshot here:

http://i.imgur.com/clP1sMZ.png

One caveat, you may need to browse the Architectural Model to find the exact View you're looking for. The drop-down list of Views from the Link don't show the organizational hierarchy from the Project Browser and it can be dizzying trying to find that "one" View you need. Hope this helps. If not, clarify your inquiry in more detail and I'll continue to assist.

-TZ

Thanks for your help! I know about that but my problem is that I can't use the view templates for the revit links because I need to set each view according to the view in the architect's model. I think what I want to do isn't possible. Maybe it should be a revit request.

The linked view should be left out of the revit link options in the view templates so that you can have all the other information about what you want showing from the link to be selected and then the specific view of the link can be set in the properties area of the view in your file.

Do you mean "I can't use the view templates *FROM* the revit links" rather than *FOR* the revit links? If this is the case, you can import their View Templates by using Transfer Project Standards (aka TPS) tool to import these into your current project. Then you can adjust as necessary for your MEP elements, with everything else maintaining consistency with their View standards.

Hope this helps. -TZ

Do you mean "I can't use the view templates *FROM* the revit links" rather than *FOR* the revit links? If this is the case, you can import their View Templates by using Transfer Project Standards (aka TPS) tool to import these into your current project. Then you can adjust as necessary for your MEP elements, with everything else maintaining consistency with their View standards.

Hope this helps. -TZ

No, I meant for. Meaning that I can't personalize my revit link settings in the view templates because I need to select a different linked view for each view in my project. :) thanks but I think what I'm looking for isn't available!

Ah, I see. Well the only option is to *uncheck* the last column of the View Template for "V/G Overrides RVT Links". That way, the View Template controls everything else BUT the Links, in which you'd go view by view and individually change this to the View you need.

3rd time a charm maybe? Lol... last option I can think of. So, you get best of both worlds. View Template on everything except Linked Views so you can change those individually by using V/G. Let me know if this is the option you're looking for.

-TZ

PS: The reason I included this tip is because many people (including myself at one time) never realized that View Templates had the "Include" option for each View Parameter. It's a subtle miss for people starting out and forgive me in advance, but I'm not aware of your Revit competence level so I'm assuming at this point.

*EDIT*

PSS: For instance, I have some View Templates that only include Filters. This way I can easily apply only Filters to a View, since sometimes it's easier to apply all the Filters you have and delete them as you go. So many of my View Templates have everything but Filters included so I can override these on a view by view basis. Just further explanation is all.

Ah, I see. Well the only option is to *uncheck* the last column of the View Template for "V/G Overrides RVT Links". That way, the View Template controls everything else BUT the Links, in which you'd go view by view and individually change this to the View you need.

3rd time a charm maybe? Lol... last option I can think of. So, you get best of both worlds. View Template on everything except Linked Views so you can change those individually by using V/G. Let me know if this is the option you're looking for.

-TZ

PS: The reason I included this tip is because many people (including myself at one time) never realized that View Templates had the "Include" option for each View Parameter. It's a subtle miss for people starting out and forgive me in advance, but I'm not aware of your Revit competence level so I'm assuming at this point.

*EDIT*

PSS: For instance, I have some View Templates that only include Filters. This way I can easily apply only Filters to a View, since sometimes it's easier to apply all the Filters you have and delete them as you go. So many of my View Templates have everything but Filters included so I can override these on a view by view basis. Just further explanation is all.

I'm not offended at all. I'm glad you did your best to help! But I knew what I was looking for was a long shot from the beginning because I could clearly see the options and what I wanted wasn't one of them. I was hoping maybe someone had the same issue and had a trick up their sleeve that I didn't know about. It seems what I need to do is include revit links in the view templates at the beginning of the project and select what I want and don't want shown in the revit links and then exclude it and change the linked view in each view. It's just frustrating if later down the line a new link is added into the project.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone ever needs a somewhat solution for this, this is what I've ended up doing.

I still keep my RVT link overrides unchecked in the view templates so that I can match each level to the arch's model but I leave my model categories set to by host view so that anything I change in my model categories in the view template will reflect on the RVT link. With annotations I just set it up in the beginning and normally that won't need to change anyways. ;)