• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• RobDraw

• CADDYNAMIX

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

indeed. Until very recently we had to jump through hoops, leave blood group and inside leg measurements just to be allowed to draw using millimeters.

We used a Dongle for an add-on to AutoCAD call Vibrant Soft Engine IIRC, we last used that for AutoCAD v14. Used to be pretty common for high dollar software to require a dongle in the last millennium.

I do not believe any AutoCAD needed a Dongle since AutoCAD 2000, but I think around AutoCAD 2004 or 2005, they got tougher with the Authorization.

Interesting concept you have, I wonder if your employer wonders when you "started the annual fee noise", you mean you want to get paid?

Autodesk sells software, they pay people to sorta make it work, they all gotta eat. You don't like it, go somewhere else.

We have 2 threads here somewhere, one on FREE AutoCAD alternatives and one on Low Cost AutoCAD alternatives.

I think the online authorization procedure started with AutoCAD 2008. I have a copy of 2007 that includes the CD-Key and Serial Number on the case (which was all that was needed to run the program) so in theory I could load it on one hundred computers and it wouldn't matter.

I recall that US AutoCAD had been released with a dongle for either version 2.4 or 2.5. It was just as I was getting into it myself, with version 2.6. What I recall is that user groups were calling it a turKey and clamoring for its removal. They evidently won that round, as version 2.6 did not have it, but that was still back in the day.

• 4 years later...
On 4/2/2015 at 9:06 AM, SLW210 said:

We used a Dongle for an add-on to AutoCAD call Vibrant Soft Engine IIRC, we last used that for AutoCAD v14. Used to be pretty common for high dollar software to require a dongle in the last millennium.

I do not believe any AutoCAD needed a Dongle since AutoCAD 2000, but I think around AutoCAD 2004 or 2005, they got tougher with the Authorization.

Interesting concept you have, I wonder if your employer wonders when you "started the annual fee noise", you mean you want to get paid?

Autodesk sells software, they pay people to sorta make it work, they all gotta eat. You don't like it, go somewhere else.

We have 2 threads here somewhere, one on FREE AutoCAD alternatives and one on Low Cost AutoCAD alternatives.

Believe it or not, I still use Softengine with Acad R-12c2 for Dos 6.22.

I'm 72 and still need to get through a few more years of working and am worried my original parallel port dongle may be getting flakey.  Is there any way around this or any way to get a replacement that you know of?  Thank you.

Walt Mather