autocad LT 2014

bennyboy86

hi all,

so started at a new job, and am using cad lt 2014, and have come across a problem haven't seen since 2011, when i hatch an area, using the pick points option, cad has a heart attack and craps out, have tried changing a couple of settings like HPLGMODE and HPQUICKPREVIEW, but doesn't help the issue, if i go draw poly lines around everything i need to hatch that tends to work but takes ages as im drawing around kitchen equipment......thanks for your help...also my computer specs are attached....

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

The hatch scale may be too fine. Or maybe the boundary probably is leaking at the seams, and the program runs out of brain cells trying to hatch all of modelspace. Fillet the corners with a zero radius, extend perp lines to the line you "think" they are touching, etc., etc. Does 2014 show any little red circles at the error points in the boundary, or is that a new thing in 2015?

answers:

a. im in my xref trying to create said hatch

b. fully closed boundary, no little circles pop up made sure of that........and hatch scale not small.........those red circles been around a while think longer then 2015......

Can you post a copy of the drawing, maybe take out as much of the content as you can leaving only a few areas that won't hatch.

answers:

a. im in my xref trying to create said hatch

Clear this up for me, please. Are you actually in the XREF file or are you making a hatch in the hosting file using objects in the XREF as boundaries?

I would also like you to clarify about the XREF, as mentioned by RobDraw.

It has been a problem since I can remember, one little thing in the drawing that AutoCAD doesn't like when hatching with pick points and BAM, it freaks out.

I never seem to have a problem in drawings I start from scratch, just older drawings by others.

You can use LAYISO to alleviate the problem sometimes.

I would go through and check all the Hatch related System Variables, particularly HPGAPTOL

HPANG

Sets the angle for new hatch patterns.

•HPANNOTATIVE

Controls whether a new hatch pattern is annotative.

•HPASSOC

Controls whether hatches and fills are associative.

•HPBACKGROUNDCOLOR

Controls the background color for hatch patterns.

• HPBOUND

Controls the object type created by HATCH and BOUNDARY.

•HPBOUNDRETAIN

Controls whether boundary objects are created for new hatches and fills.

•HPCOLOR

Sets a default color for new hatches.

•HPDLGMODE

Controls the display of the Hatch and Gradient dialog box and the Hatch Edit dialog box.

•HPDOUBLE

Specifies hatch pattern doubling for user-defined patterns.

•HPDRAWORDER

Controls the draw order of hatches and fills.

•HPGAPTOL

Treats a set of objects that almost enclose an area as a closed hatch boundary.

•HPINHERIT

Controls the hatch origin of the resulting hatch when using Inherit Properties in HATCH and HATCHEDIT.

•HPISLANDDETECTION

Controls how islands within the hatch boundary are treated.

•HPISLANDDETECTIONMODE

Controls whether internal closed boundaries, called islands, are detected.

•HPLAYER

Specifies a default layer for new hatches and fills.

•HPMAXLINES

Sets the maximum number of hatch lines that are generated in a hatch operation.

•HPNAME

Sets the default hatch pattern name.

•HPOBJWARNING

Sets the number of hatch boundary objects that can be selected before displaying a warning message.

• HPORIGIN

Sets the hatch origin point for new hatch patterns relative to the current user coordinate system.

• HPORIGINMODE

Controls how the default hatch origin point is determined.

•HPQUICKPREVIEW

Controls whether to display a preview when specifying internal points for a hatch.

• HPSCALE

Sets the hatch pattern scale factor.

• HPSEPARATE

Controls whether a single hatch object or separate hatch objects are created when operating on several closed boundaries.

• HPSPACE

Sets the hatch pattern line spacing for user-defined patterns.

•HPTRANSPARENCY

Sets the default transparency for new hatches and fills.

I never seem to have a problem in drawings I start from scratch, just older drawings by others.

+1 to that. I hate working on other people's drawings. Nothing but problems.

Further to what others have said, make sure to PURGE and AUDIT the drawing and any Xrefs you have attached to your drawing.

hi guys sorry was easter long weekend

its not my original drawing

All work is done in the XREF file, only thing in actual drawing is the xrefs and title page......tried purges and audits, will go through SLW210's settings and try them out

program is autocad LT 2014.....but used to have the same issues on autocad 2011.....

have had it happen on drawings someone else has done and on my own........

thanks for the help so far

I'm still not clear as to where the hatch is being created and if the boundaries are from an XREF.

Either way, you may have to drop the pick point option. If the boundary is complicated, i.e. blocks/nested blocks that have 3D elements, especially if it utilizes objects from an XREF'd file, AutoCAD is not going to like that. The only way that I know of to get the hatch to work in these cases, is to create your own boundary.

yeah rob that is what i am doing, for basic areas it handles it but anything with a curve need to draw my own poly line and all good. gone through all those settings and still screws up so doing it the manual way....

and to clarify, all line work including hatching is done in the one drawing, then xref'ed into the actual drawing, with the title block, etc......