Draw Angle Iron in AutoCAD Mechanical?

Casio47

Hello,

I have AutoCAD Mechanical 2015.

I just want to draw angle iron in 3D 61" long, with .5" sides 1/8" thick in a traiangle pattern. Basically, 3 pieces of angle iron welded together to form a triangle. Is this possible?

Thanks

It's most definitely possible. Just draw your angle iron shape from a side view and extrude it. Then copy it a couple times and rotate. Are the edges going to be tapered, or are they going to be overlapping?

That's exactly what I've been trying to do, but I dont see any 3D modeling or extrude...sorry, I'm used to SolidWorks.

If you are using ribbons, try right clicking in the blank space next to the ribbon and choosing "show tabs" there should be a "3d tools" selection.

Well that didnt work, if i draw an angle iron shape from a side view, only .5" wide, it is just a dot...I'm doing something wrong

When you are drawing something that small turn off your osnaps (f3) otherwise it will snap to the last point you picked. Also, zoom close into the area you are drawing.

OK, so I drew an angle shape to represent an angle iron segment that is .5" wide and .125" thick. I then was able to extrude this drawing to a length of 51". I did this by finding the 3D basic in the drop down in modeling space (from mechanical). The problem, is now i have a piece of angle iron sticking staight up in the air along the Z axis! how do i get it to lay down, say along the X axis?

Thanks

You can rotate the angle using the 3DROTATE command or you can enable the 3D Rotate gizmo and use that. Or you could also do it manually by reorienting your UCS and then using the regular rotate command.

Take a look at this. Saved in 2010 file format.

3D Triangle.dwg

got my menu bar back!

But now I hit something called CleanScreen, and all my tabs are gone, how do I get all that stuff back!

OK, got my ribbon back! typed ribbon in the command and hit enter, and it came back! Yea for me....now to get back to the original problem of rotating my extrusion to another axis, instead of stiking staight up in the air on the Z axis!

Just change your view from top to a side view like front, back, left or right and use the rotate command.