I really, reaaaaalllllly, can't delete a layer. NOT 0 or Defpoints

Brian Hunt

I'm cleaning up a drawing, down to one layer left that I want to remove.

I'm using Civil 3d 2015, not a great cad person but I feel I've made a good effort to figure this out myself. I have the layer highlighted.

2015-04-02_1410.png

I renamed it to Dele so I knew it was the one I was looking for. I've used Laydel with no effect. While searching for solutions, I came across the "save as DFX and look at text" approach. I've opened the DXF via Notepad++ and it only has a single reference. That said, I'm not sure exactly what the text is telling me to be honest. I see the references to the table records but not real sure what that's telling me to look for. I did look at any table style info but nothing jumped out.

V-HYDS-DTMT-CLRF-DELE
Continuous
F
AcAecLayerStandard

NEED TO DELETE
LAYER
AcDbSymbolTableRecord
AcDbLayerTableRecord
V-HYDS-SOUN-POST

My only real guess is that I don't have a Defpoints layer, did someone before me possible rename the defpoints layer to this name??? Or is that even an option.

Thanks guys.

Brian

If it's a Civ3D dwg then you may have a civil style defined that is using that layer. Check all of your styles for surfaces, piping, points etc. to include label styles.

If it's a Civ3D dwg then you may have a civil style defined that is using that layer. Check all of your styles for surfaces, piping, points etc. to include label styles.

Is there an easy way to do that? And does that just mean to go through every style

2015-04-02_1508.png

and looking at the properties and making sure the layer isn't the one in question???

2015-04-02_1509.png

DOH, I think I tried to reply as a guest. Let me try again.

Ok Murph, I take it you mean, going though all these...

2015-04-02_1538.png

and making sure none are pointing to the layer in question...

2015-04-02_1539.png

If so, I believe I've done this, most that I don't use point to 0, while the few I do use all look valid.

HMMMMMMMM

Make a new temporary layer. Merge the problem layer to that new layer (by right clicking on the old layer and selectoig 'merge to ' or something similar in the layer properties manager). Then try deleting the old layer.

You can't delete a layer if there are/were entities residing on the layer.

If you still can't find the entities on the new temporary layer then you could always merge the layer to layer 0.

If there are NO dimensions, there is no Defpoints Layer in a drawing, unless part of the template. If it has been created and all dimensions deleted and no objects are on Defpoints, it can be Purged, at least in Vanilla AutoCAD.

The merge layer worked guys, thanks for the help. I'm not sure why I couldn't delete the layer on it's own but at least it's gone now. Again, thank you very much all for your input, leaned a bit more about this silly little program. ;)