Dimension slots

What is the correct way to dimension the plate with slots? Base on what i got, does it have enough info for the guys in the shop to fabricate this?

Material: SS

Unit: Inch

Note: Forgot the thickness of the plate

slot plate.JPG

It is pretty hard to read your screenshot, could you post the .dwg, or at least take a screenshot in a paperspace layout,

so the white background makes it more legible? I'll be happy to take a look, if I can see it better. :)

slots.dwg

It is pretty hard to read your screenshot, could you post the .dwg, or at least take a screenshot in a paperspace layout,

so the white background makes it more legible? I'll be happy to take a look, if I can see it better. :)

Here it is.

[ATTACH]53619[/ATTACH]

Here it is.

You had plenty of dimensions on there, I should think the fabricator would be able to work from it.

I changed a couple of things slightly, mostly for cosmetics.

If I have non orthogonal features, like those two crooked slots, I usually slap an angular dimension onto them, although

depending on the tools at hand in the shop, they may or may not be used.

I usually do my dimensions in Paperspace, feels funny to me putting them in Modelspace, but that is of no consequence in this case. :|

Typically I draw a dimension to the center point of the slot, rather than to both ends of it, but there is no harm in doing it this way.

slots.dwg

I also recommend dimensions to the center line and radius center of rounded end slots rather than the total length. This is pretty standard because the machinist will use a round tool, aimed at the center point to make the end holes of the slots. Even a CNC machine does not care about the total length, only the center of the radii.

You had plenty of dimensions on there, I should think the fabricator would be able to work from it.

I changed a couple of things slightly, mostly for cosmetics.

If I have non orthogonal features, like those two crooked slots, I usually slap an angular dimension onto them, although

depending on the tools at hand in the shop, they may or may not be used.

I usually do my dimensions in Paperspace, feels funny to me putting them in Modelspace, but that is of no consequence in this case. :|

Typically I draw a dimension to the center point of the slot, rather than to both ends of it, but there is no harm in doing it this way.

Just to make sure i understan it right, when you said "I draw a dimension to the center point of the slot, rather than to both ends of it," look at my drawing at the bottom crooked slot, i had dimension from center to center of the slot 4", Is that ok or not correct?

Note: one thing i can do is that i can just give one Dia of the slot .69 or 11/16" Typ instead of do each since they are all equal Dia

Note: one thing i can do is that i can just give one Dia of the slot .69 or 11/16" Typ instead of do each since they are all equal Dia
You can also use a note in one or two places that says "Unless otherwise noted all slots are .69" wide, and all radii of the rounded slot ends are .345".

(That is oc course if your shop standards will accept that technique.)

Just to make sure i understan it right, when you said "I draw a dimension to the center point of the slot, rather than to both ends of it," look at my drawing at the bottom crooked slot, i had dimension from center to center of the slot 4", Is that ok or not correct?

As the lengths of the slots are not all the same, I would say it is a good idea to show the length between centers, along the centerline axis of the slots, as you did.

I would probably just use a dimension from the end of the piece to the center of the slot. Once that point is sufficiently detailed, and the length and angle of the slot are known, the fabricator will figure it out. I now notice that the item being noted is symmetrical along the LONG axis. Typically when that is the case and I have sufficient space, I will include a note that the item is symmetrical about centerline, as that can be helpful when laying out the piece. Were it up to me, I would lay this out horizontally on my sheet, as I feel it would read better.

symmetrical about centerline.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

I would have laid out a part like this horizontally rather than vertically on the sheet.

Also - you current document units are Feet.