Cutout sections in 3D cones and cylinders

ProvoZA

Hi Guys (and Gals), I have produced a hollow cone which needs to have a rectangular cutout in it. I have tried PUSHPULL and SLICE, but neither of these commands work. Can you assist with the correct commands or procedures to enable a cutout in the cone.

Thanks, Barry

How did you create the cone? Is it a solid or a surface?

I REVOLVEd the cone from a 2D section as previous cones were all solid and I was not able to get a hollow cone.

I am still very new to 3D, but I need to do a scale model on a 3D printer, so I am on a crash course on 3D AutoCAD.

I REVOLVEd the cone from a 2D section as previous cones were all solid and I was not able to get a hollow cone.

I am still very new to 3D, but I need to do a scale model on a 3D printer, so I am on a crash course on 3D AutoCAD.

It sounds like your cone may be a 3D Solid, from which you could quite easily use the SUBTRACT command.

Create a 3D Solid from a rectangle, and position it accordingly before running the SUBTRACT command.

Pay attention to the commandline prompts, really quite simple.

Lots of other ways this could be done, but perhaps this is the most intuitive.

If it is a SURFACE instead of a 3D Solid, then use nestly's suggestion.

Sounds like you should watch a few of the videos from the Tutorials tab on this forum. :wink:

Another easy way to get a hollow cone would be to create one, like the one of which you spoke, with the CONE command,

then COPY it down along the Z axis an appropriate distance, and run the SUBTRACT command, with which you can subtract the copied cone from the inside of the original, leaving you a hollowed out cone. Once you understand that, creating the rectangular solid and subtracting it is pretty much self-explanatory.

This would also be a good example of a use for the SHELL function from the Solid Editing toolbar, if starting with a solid cone, reading the commandline is essential. This is cool, but perhaps a bit less intuitive. :|

Using this technique, the first cone created should be the exact size of the internal void required in the finished cone.

cone generation with cutouts.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Excellent, thank you. I recreated the cone using a solid cone within a solid cone and then subtracted. I then created the rectangle and extruded it.

This was then inserted into the cone and subtracted. Looks great.

Very intuitive once the commands are known.

Excellent, thank you. I recreated the cone using a solid cone within a solid cone and then subtracted. I then created the rectangle and extruded it.

This was then inserted into the cone and subtracted. Looks great.

Very intuitive once the commands are known.

Glad that got you sorted out, you should explore the other Boolean commands too.

Open you MODELING and SOLID EDITING toolbars and take the icons around the block when you have a few spare mintues.

Turn on TOOL TIPS in your Options, on the DISPLAY tab, if they aren't already turned on. :)