2D/3D points

Nickkot

Hello. This is my first post.

I am learning Inventor with the aim of modelling boats.

The work flow I am attempting is:

Create 2D sketches of the side and top profile

Create 3D intersection curve for the deck edge

Create 2D hull profiles on multiple parallel planes

Loft surfaces over the hull profiles.

This works for me for simple forms but more complex forms almost always fail to loft. I think the issue is that the geometry is not all connected. When I zoom in on the work points that I have created by intersecting the parallel plans with the 3D curves, they do not always lie on the curve so that the loft profile is not connected to the rail.

The points that I create in one plane are not active in others and the points I create in 2D are not active in 3D and vice versa. I am using Project Geometry to connect to them.

Can anyone help me out?

Nick.

Inventor does a lot I'm interested in so I'm running with that. I work a lot with both wood and metal but for now I am interested in boat hulls.

Any help on my question?

... I think the issue is that the geometry is not all connected. When I zoom in on the work points that I have created by intersecting the parallel plans with the 3D curves, they do not always lie on the curve so that the loft profile is not connected to the rail.

Nick.

This behavior does not sound correct. Attach *.ipt file here that exhibits this behavior.

Well. I've spent so many hours in the last week trying to get this to work and didn't bother saving the fails and now I sketch up another and it worked perfectly!

I attach the file anyhow..

Nick.

Boat loft.ipt

Well. I've spent so many hours in the last week trying to get this to work and didn't bother saving the fails....

Nick.

It is the failures that offer the best opportunities for learning.

It is the failures that offer the best opportunities for learning.

So true! But I would like to know what I was doing wrong..

A question about the 3D intersect line: When I tried deleting the original defining lines an error message resulted. I note that the 3D line is always yellow not black although I couldn't find out the meaning of this. Do intersect lines depend on the original defining geometry or can they be converted to lines like any other?

Thanks

Nick.