As-Building a .DWF file

gsksun4

I use AutoCAD 2014LT to do my as-builts. Customer provides a .DWF file because they cannot get the original cad file. I'm guessing the .DWF file was exported from a .DWG file.

Is there any way to convert the .DWF file to .DWG?

All my blocks/attributes, symbols, formats, etc are in AutoCAD.

If not, I have to use a 7 minute tutorial video on Autodesk Design Review, how to do as-builts from the customer. By the way, I've only used ADR to open .DWF files to print out drawings for quotes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn

A .dwf is pretty much similar to a .pdf, you would need to use a convertor to make it a .dwg and quality/results will vary.

Inkscape/Illustrator should do a conversion, but I wonder why your client doesn't have the actual .dwg's.

A .dwf is pretty much similar to a .pdf, you would need to use a convertor to make it a .dwg and quality/results will vary.

Inkscape/Illustrator should do a conversion, but I wonder why your client doesn't have the actual .dwg's.

First thank you for the reply. I believe that's all they have and the A& E/supplier will not cooperate. Either that or the middle man I'm dealing with likes .DWF files as she put the video together.

Tomorrow, I'l look into a Inkscape/Illustrator download, hope it's a free DL.

BTW, I've found I can INSERT the .dwf into a cad drawing as an underlay. Can't edit it of course and that part of the plot comes out very light, even plotting in monochrome.

Again thank you for helping. I never thought this was going to be a nightmare.

Once again, sales omitted the verbage in the quote "as-builts require AutoCAD.

Glenn

I just found a free download of Inkscape. Is that what you were referring to or is there a different Inkscape/Illustrator?

That's it, Inkscape is free.

Should be some tutorials online, Illustrator tutorials will help on Inkscape, though some of the tools may have different names.

DWF to DWG converter. Free trial good for 15 tries.

http://anydwg.com/dwf-to-dwg-home.html

Keep in mind that the process of conversion means you will lose a good deal of information and accuracy.

Thanks ReMark, I'll give it a go. I'm trying all suggestions, and yes, every time I use snipping tool, create PDF, etc., the quality does suffer.

If I didn't have to isolate parts of the floorplan for other sheets scaled up, I'd be home free. It's not being able to manipulate the underlay, be it PDF or .DWF creating the problem.

Thanks again as always ReMark.

ReMark, the conversion to .DWG worked, but there's issues. I'd like to post a small piece of the drawing that will upload here, but I guess things have changed since I cannot find Manage Attachments like my old instructions tell me.

Anyway, it seems many things are tied together in the cad file now, like text. When I explode said text, very large text covers most of the drawing. Too many to delete and you cannot click on the original text to edit.

Anyone know how to attach a file here? My instructions seem outdated.

And that's why I don't use DWF's, PDF's or any type of conversion software.

To attach a drawing or an image first click on the Go Advanced button. At the next screen click on the Attach Image icon. You should be able to manage from there. I doubt I can be of any further assistance with your problem however.

And that's why I don't use DWF's, PDF's or any type of conversion software.

To attach a drawing or an image first click on the Go Advanced button. At the next screen click on the Attach Image icon. You should be able to manage from there. I doubt I can be of any further assistance with your problem however.

ReMark, first, as always thank you for the assistance. At least I have a .dwg file now I might be able to work with. I'm no stranger to strange circumstances. None of this would have been necessary had the customer complied, but it's also bad on our part here because our Sales person and the Project Mgr. was not explicit in the contractual verbiage in requesting only cad .dwg files.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Glenn

You will need an OCR convertor for the lines to text.

Autodesk Raster Design can do this, but not free.

SHX fonts always come back as lines in most conversion software.

Thanks to both SLW210 and BIGAL. The existing text I can live with as is. I can delete it and move it. It just came with the drawing and I will use my blocks moving forward.

We do have a graphics person with Adobe Illustrator, but the version here at work will not open the .DWF. She has the newer version at home, so if all else fails, she's agreed to try that.

Thanks again to all for your assistance. Once again, this is the best Q&A Cad site.

Glenn