Metal sheet flat pattern

pipemasters

I'm doing a work prepartion of a pipe, and when i do the flat pattern i measure the piece and it gave me 279mm.

When i print, with a 1:1 scale, i measure in the paper and the flat pattern is 269mm.

I sent you the drawning for us to see what happend.

Wish your's help.

Part1.ipt

Have you installed all Service Packs and Updates for your version of Inventor?

Extrude-Cut is not the correct way to cut a sheet metal part like this - I will be back later with correct technique.

I sent you the drawning for us to see what happend.

I see only a part file, no drawing file.

I do the sheet metal flat pattern by the rip option, but the lengh of pipe is not correct.

Then i tried this way. And gave-me correct

• 2 weeks later...

i am also having problem with this. i tried rip and it gave me a flat pattern. but i also need to project the flat pattern on a sketch. and doing it on the flat pattern itself is not the solution. how can i solve this? please help!

I think JD Mather is right by asking for a drawing file.

Pipe coping patterns was something that I had always wanted to do in inventor but never got around to it.

I downloaded your file and checked it out. Apparently, the flat pattern can not be printed directly from the flat pattern part. I think the part (.ipt) must be placed in a drawing. Note: before dropping the view in the drawing, select the Sheet Metal View - Flat Pattern option.

Once in the part is placed in the drawing (*.dwg), the file can be printed in full scale. When I printed the file, I obtained the 279.3mm length, same as what was dimensioned in the flat pattern part. I had also tried printing from the *.ipt file directly and the measured results were significantly off.

Since I just signed up on this forum, I'm not able to post the drawing file...

One other thing to check is the printer's zoom/scaling settings to ensure they are set to 100% or 1:1 scaling.

I think JD Mather is right by asking for a drawing file.

Pipe coping patterns was something that I had always wanted to do in inventor but never got around to it.

I downloaded your file and checked it out. Apparently, the flat pattern can not be printed directly from the flat pattern part. I think the part (.ipt) must be placed in a drawing. Note: before dropping the view in the drawing, select the Sheet Metal View - Flat Pattern option.

Once in the part is placed in the drawing (*.dwg), the file can be printed in full scale. When I printed the file, I obtained the 279.3mm length, same as what was dimensioned in the flat pattern part. I had also tried printing from the *.ipt file directly and the measured results were significantly off.

Since I just signed up on this forum, I'm not able to post the drawing file...

One other thing to check is the printer's zoom/scaling settings to ensure they are set to 100% or 1:1 scaling.

Hello,

How can i select the Sheet Metal View - Flat Pattern option to the dwg file.

When i open the autocad and when i import the file, the object didn't appears with flat pattern.

Could you please explain me better. Maybe with picture's (print screens).

Best regards.

To keep things simple, the following dialog assumes that only ONE file is open... the sheetmetal part you wish to print... (it doesn't matter if you are viewing the part as a folded model or a flat pattern).

Open a new drawing. Doing so changes the ribbon menus for working with drawings.

Place your part by clicking on "Base" in the place views tab on the ribbon. When you do this, two things happen:

1) a Drawing View dialog box opens

2) a preview of the part appears and is attached to your cursor.

BEFORE clicking anywhere else... place your cursor in the Drawing View dialog box.

1) Notice that the scale is set to 1:1 by default (if your sheet size is larger than the part... more on this later).

2) Select the "Flat Pattern" button located under the Sheet Metal View section.

Now, you can move your cursor to an area on the drawing sheet to place your view of the flat pattern.

In your case, since this part is 11" long, you may want to consider using a larger sheet size to print the full scale pattern. Notice that the attached Drawing View.jpg file depicts the dimensioned part placed in a B size drawing.

If you can only print letter or legal size paper, you can still print your pattern by tiling the drawing. Tiling involves creating two drawings where one drawing would show the left half (portion) of the part and the second drawing would show the right half (portion) of the part. The two drawings can then be joined together (tape, spray glue, etc.) and attached to the raw stock as your fabrication template.

Hopefully, this should get you in the right direction.

Drawing View.jpg

Drawing Sheet Sizes.jpg

Right click on the face of the Flat Pattern

or

Right click on the Flat Pattern node in the feature browser.

Slightly different saving options from each.

One will allow conversion of spline edges to straight line chords (often needed for CNC).