Convert Revit to an useable dwg file

Handiman

I have the Revit viewer and my client has sent me a Revit file but I need to work in AutoCAD 2014. I do handrails on stairs and the plan views and elevations make a big difference in work time.

Can Revit be converted to a 2D dwg format?

Can I do it from the limited function of the Revit viewer?

I would love to fiddle around and figure this out but I am under a time crunch.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Randy

I just attempted to export to DWG in Revit under the Viewer Mode and it would not execute followed by an alert dialog box forbidding this function, so unfortunately no you cannot. You'll need to either request 2D format, or have someone with a full license of Revit in order to export.

Exporting to .dwg is allowed with unaltered models. However, just opening a central model, alters it, disabling export and printing. If it is a central model, detach from central at opening. You will then be able to export.

Thanks guys, I did look through the 384mb file with the viewer and I was able to find the same pages that they had sent to us in a pdf.

It turns out the areas I am missing have not been drawn. It is some areas that have guardrail and handrail and pass under a stair case and lines the opening of the concrete that is open at level 1 down 2 levels into the parking garage.

So I am going to draw what I think it is doing and it will get corrected when field dimensions are verified and I will just redraw it correctly at that time. Why can't they just get the info the first time?

I hate doing work twice and get pressured about why it takes so long.

Any ways they have 8 or 9 drawings in 3D of a built-in desk but nothing of the guardrail that lines the opening in the concrete and they are spending a couple hundred dollars per foot of this rail.

It was good looking through the Revit file. There is so much info in that file, the complete Library (8 levels)

Exporting to .dwg is allowed with unaltered models. However, just opening a central model, alters it, disabling export and printing. If it is a central model, detach from central at opening. You will then be able to export.
I Detached from Central and still received the same error. If you got this to work, can you give the steps you took? This would be very beneficial to the AutoCAD community if you can export DWG from the Revit Viewer.

Thanks guys, I did look through the 384mb file with the viewer and I was able to find the same pages that they had sent to us in a pdf.

It turns out the areas I am missing have not been drawn. It is some areas that have guardrail and handrail and pass under a stair case and lines the opening of the concrete that is open at level 1 down 2 levels into the parking garage.

So I am going to draw what I think it is doing and it will get corrected when field dimensions are verified and I will just redraw it correctly at that time. Why can't they just get the info the first time?

I hate doing work twice and get pressured about why it takes so long.

Any ways they have 8 or 9 drawings in 3D of a built-in desk but nothing of the guardrail that lines the opening in the concrete and they are spending a couple hundred dollars per foot of this rail.

It was good looking through the Revit file. There is so much info in that file, the complete Library (8 levels)

Any chance your company can get you on a Building Design Suite next upgrade, which would give you Revit? This way, in the future, you can have all the tools you need to export anything you please.

Any chance your company can get you on a Building Design Suite next upgrade, which would give you Revit? This way, in the future, you can have all the tools you need to export anything you please.

You are funny. I have $750,000 jobs needing to be out the door in 4 months (lots of OT for 3 detailers and 7 shop guys) and I was asked last month to checkout "progeCAD" because AutoCAD 2014 cost to much to renew the licence (3 licences), we need to find something that doesn't cost so much.

This guy kills me, every job that this company does runs through 1 of these 3 computers and he doesn't want to spend the money. I tried to get 2014 Mechanical and he just laughed.

I will keep pushing because I like wasting my time. Maybe one day it will work.

Thanks for all of your help.

Haha, I guess I'm a comedian then. Sorry for the situation.... I must say I've never been at a company who's that tight with virtual tools.