Titleblock scaling

defman

Recently I received a titleblock from an architect that was 24x36. The problem is that it was 24'x36'

What would the process be to get the title block "reverse scaled" to the correct 24x36?

An engineer suggested a scale down using a factor of 12. HUH?

Also, what is the process of getting a layout to fit to the titleblock I get. I'm constantly having to change for whichever title block I get.

Thank you.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

So, what's the deal, you can't print 24'x36' sheets?

Use the -DWGUNITS (include the hyphen) command, and follow the commandline prompts slowly and carefully.

You should probably save a Copy of it, and fix the copy, so as not to mess up in any way the original.

Sorry defman for entering the wrong command in this post, absolutely do not use -PURGE for scaling!

Fortunately, I didn't FALL for it myself, as evidenced by subsequent posts describing -DWGUNITS.

Mea culpa. mea maxima culpa!

Edited by Dadgad
Asleep at the wheel, command error corrected.

Thanks for the quick response Dadgad,

Unfortunately, I'm nt at my desk right now. Please explain to me how -PURGE will help me to reverse scale the titlebock?

SCALE command, watch the command line and use the Scale option, then you will input 24' for the reference length, and then 24 for the size to scale to.

Thanks for the quick response Dadgad,

Unfortunately, I'm nt at my desk right now. Please explain to me how -PURGE will help me to reverse scale the titlebock?

When you get a chance, do as I suggested, and you will understand.

I am assuming that the -dwgunits commandline feedback will indicate that your current units are FEET instead of INCHES . In the screenshot you will see that my current drawing units are reported as mms by the commandline indicator , whcih is what I usually work in, and I want them to be. It is a very good command to know about, as it does a number of different things, one of which is scaling.

As rkent suggested, SCALE is much more intuitive and straight ahead, but I still favor using -dwgunits for all the options it provides, as a general rule of thumb.

SCALE is more user friendly, since you are only doing ONE thing, and so less likely to create some other problem, by failing to understand or read the commandline carefully. :)

commandline dwgunits command.JPG

Thank you so much, Dadgad & rkent.

I had to to a little of my own manipulating to get something to the engineer. But as you know, "fibbing" has a way of biting you in the butt later in the project.

I'll try this tomorrow.

Any information on the second pert of my question? Same answer?

"Also, what is the process of getting a layout to fit to the titleblock I get. I'm constantly having to change for whichever title block I get."

I prefer putting the Titleblock in Paperspace, and then it is a simple matter to create a paperspace viewport, through which (double click inside the viewport, to activate it) the view is oriented to suit your design intent.

By zooming and panning inside the active viewport the scale is adjusted to an appropriate scale, after which you should be sure to LOCK your viewport, so that it displays what you want, at the size and scale you want, and does not get changed accidentally down the line.

I think you misunderstood the question. I'm not trying to create a scaled viewport, I'd like to know how to make my layout conform to the titleblock for my extents.

Thank you.

I think you misunderstood the question. I'm not trying to create a scaled viewport, I'd like to know how to make my layout conform to the titleblock for my extents.

Thank you.

Do you mean in your Paperspace layout, or when printing?

Yes, in my paperspace layout.

I work for an engineering company, so we are constantly having to conform to the architects titleblock.

I know there is a way to adjust the layout and center the titleblock, but I can't remember how.

I work for an engineering company, so we are constantly having to conform to the architects titleblock.

I know there is a way to adjust the layout and center the titleblock, but I can't remember how.

Try selecting the titleblock which you are trying to tweak, then right click on your mouse, and near the top of the right click shortcut menu are numerous editing options. Or maybe you would prefer BEDIT, for block edit.

Edited by Dadgad

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

So, what's the deal, you can't print 24'x36' sheets?

Use the -PURGE (include the hyphen) command, and follow the commandline prompts slowly and carefully.

You should probably save a Copy of it, and fix the copy, so as not to mess up in any way the original.

Dadgad - You realize you typed -PURGE when it sounds like you meant -DWGUNITS, confused the heck out of us. Why recommend -DWGUNITS when you don't know for sure how the drawing is set up?

Do you want to fit your paper to their title block/border, or fit the title block/boarder to your paper?

Are you inserting the title block/border as a block, xref, or copy/paste?

Dadgad - You realize you typed -PURGE when it sounds like you meant -DWGUNITS, confused the heck out of us. Why recommend -DWGUNITS when you don't know for sure how the drawing is set up?

Well ruffle my hair (if you can find any) and call me ELVIS! :facepalm:

You sure got me there, I must have been asleep at the wheel. :oops:

Those are basically the only two commands that I ever use which are prefixed by a hyphen, they are both very useful, when used in the appropriate situations, as I am sure you'd agree .... and clearly you are absolutely correct! :huh:

As for -DWGUNITS, it is my default command for checking things out too, along with Measurement to try and suss things out in somebody else's drawing.

Recently I received a titleblock from an architect that was 24x36. The problem is that it was 24'x36'

What would the process be to get the title block "reverse scaled" to the correct 24x36?

An engineer suggested a scale down using a factor of 12. HUH?

That would be a solution after units were verified. There are 12" in a foot.

Also, what is the process of getting a layout to fit to the titleblock I get. I'm constantly having to change for whichever title block I get.

Thank you.

Page set-up.

It sounds like you may be getting civil drawings which are typically drawn in decimal feet. The -units command will scale everything for you when you change the units to what you are familiar with.