Hardware/graphics driver/HP

itsmesrd

I am experiencing a problem that is becoming a real pain. I am using a Intel HD Graphics 4600 video card in a HP Envy laptop running AutoCAD architecture 2015. Every time that I leave the computer running but inactive for a period of time the graphics card stops running and crashes my drawing. The time period can vary from as little as 20 minutes to as much as over night. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what do you do besides saving the drawing before going to the bathroom.

I've tried updating the driver but no help there. Is this just another HP problem or is there something that can be tweaked?

Just upgrade the card. It is probably getting too hot and shutting down to save itself. AutoCad Architecture will destroy OEM on board video cards.

'The Intel HD Graphics 4600 video card is very low end, an on-board card. For comparison it rates a 767, when the next nearest after-market competitor rates over 5,000 in performance rating. Nvidia makes cards for laptops that will eat the Intel on board cards for lunch, then get in line for dessert.

By the way, double posting the same question in 5 minutes is bad form on an internet forum.

We are about to get new Pc's and will make sure we do not get any with the default on board Intel chip set. Our current pc's have a intel graphics chipset and Autocad stopped working at 2014. Looking at Nvidia etc. Typing this on a Nvidia optimus. Will check now support for 2016.

I combined your 2 threads.

A quick internet search shows a few years ago rampant overheat complaints on HP Envy laptops.

I would think running AutoCAD Architecture 2015 wouldn't help the situation.

I would definitely recommend a dedicated graphics card, but from what I could tell in a quick browse of HP's site, HP Envy with a dedicated graphics card has a different motherboard than those with the onboard.

It would help to have the exact model and info on your laptop.

In the mean time, look into a cooling pad to help it run cooler.

Most laptops cannot upgrade video cards. Some can but I really don't think it would be cost effective to do so. Best bet is to buy new laptop with dedicated nVidia video card and sell old unit.

Yea I'm slowly figuring this bit of detail out. Not sure why this problem has decided to rear its head over the last few weeks. Guess I'm just stuck for now. Buying a new unit isn't an option right now. Thank you all for the input.