Help with holes in a 3D model with a lack of linear lines to reference?

magic_chelsea

Key Holder Forum.jpg

Hi. So I'm learning how to use Autodesk Inventor and I need to complete a key holder (see attached images). I am stuck at the point where I have to put holes in the key holder so I can constrain the nobs to the plank. As it is rounded, I only have one linear line as a reference. I need to be able to click a line for reference 2, but there is nothing to click. I want to have the dividing line between the semi-circle and the rectangle as a reference. Please help! I have no idea how to word this, so sorry if it is hard to understand. It is not my own technical drawing, it's my teachers, but I'm on holidays so I can't ask for help from them. Plus, I need to have it done by the end of the holidays... :cry::cry::cry:

Key Holder Drawing Screenshot.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

I don't use Inventor, so this may not help you.

Might you be able to choose the center of the radiused other end of the piece as your second reference, thus defining the line?

Edited by Dadgad

Select one of the other methods found in the pull down bar under Placement. The quickest way is to select Concentric under the pulldown, since it appears the outer holes are concentric to the outside radii. But I almost always use From Sketch because it offers the most flexibility and control for locating holes, Just create a sketch and locate and constrian a point to the projected edge geometry. With both of the other methods, after creating one hole at one of the ends, use pattern to make the other 4 holes.

You can start a New Sketch on the face that you would like the holes to start on. Place a Point on the face, then constrain it's position by using either the Constraint tools or Dimensioning the position. Finish the 2D Sketch. Invoke the Hole tool and note that the hole position method has changed to From Sketch. The tool is going to place the hole center at the Sketch Point. If there are regular, multiple incidences of a similar hole, use the Array tool to produce the other instances. As an aside, one can also use this method on a Work Plane if there are no nice convenient flat surfaces to sketch on.