how to make a 3D bed in autocad?

aqueo

We have been asked to make the settings of drawing units as Architectural and in inches...so we have been doing it in this way...i am really glad to join this forum as people here are really helpful and motivating :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aqueo

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have been asked to make the settings of drawing units as Architectural and in inches...so we have been doing it in this way...i am really glad to join this forum as people here are really helpful and motivating :)

Good news then. :)

Please review the link provided earlier, as you will need to learn some new commands and techniques before you will be able to complete your assignment.

Don't just watch them, try to do what is being shown by yourself, and pay attention to the commandline prompts.

At some point before you get around to dimensioning your drawings, you will need to Modify your Dimstyle to be Architectural, as it is currently Decimal Inches, as shown in the screenshot.

architectural dimstyle.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

There is a vast difference between what you show as an image in post #9 and your drawing depicts. In my opinion your particular selection is way too ambitious for someone just starting out creating 3D models. If it isn't too late I'd suggest switching to either the Mission or maybe a Contemporary style.

Where are you located?

I googled the mission style and found it to be comparably easy to the one i wanted to do..i was trying on the headbord but was not able to achieve the desired result as it is there in the actual image...guide me as where i would have gone wrong..:(

hdbrd.dwg

miss bed 2.jpg

Honestly that looks more like a contemporary Mission "style" than a true Mission or Arts & Crafts bed. Just looks too decorative. The Arts & Crafts moment when it came to furniture was not about being ornate. For a good example look for furniture created by Stickley or Limbert. Keep in mind some of these are being reproduced today.

What exactly were you trying to achieve in your drawing?

OK....it appears you changed the image I was referring to in post #25. The most recent image is closer to a classic Mission style.

I just threw this together rather hastily. Dims may be off a bit.

Mission_Footboard.jpg

I basically created three profiles (top, bottom horizontal rails, and pickets) then extruded them.

I decided to add a bit more detail.

Mission_Footboard2.PNG

Finish board at top, posts to either side and the end of the tenon you see on the post (same detail both sides).

This is all rather plain looking I admit but it is where you should probably start.

woahh great work...Ok i guess now i would be able to do...finger crossed :)

Oh ya! I am located in India :)

Thank you :)

Thanks but it isn't all that good at the moment however it does have potential.

It is always advisable to start with the basics then gradually work your way up to the more complex. As you do this you will be adding new commands to your skills list and learning new ways to use commands that you may not have realized existed. Many users fail to fully explore all the options that can be seen seen on the command line.

I googled the mission style and found it to be comparably easy to the one i wanted to do..i was trying on the headbord but was not able to achieve the desired result as it is there in the actual image...guide me as where i would have gone wrong..:(

Gustav and the rest of the Stickley clan commend you for this good decision. :)

This is much more new user friendly than your previous aspirations.

The whole model can be done with nothing more than EXTRUDE & possibly SUBTRACT if you decide to put tenons on the slats, and do mortise and tenon structural joinery. Don't UNION the whole thing together, or the lines delineating the separate boards will be lost, and so much of the design intent.

Don't let the fact that this will be so much easier dissuade you from exploring all of those other modeling commands mentioned in the earlier posts. Go for it, get AHEAD of your class!