• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aqueo

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Periodic style" bed? I wasn't aware that was a true style. What time period are we speaking about? Here is a list of some of the styles I am familiar with. Any of them look familiar?

Ancient Greek

Renaissance

Colonial

Revival

Bauhaus

Modern

Medieval

Jacobean

Rococo

Art Nouveau

Art Deco

Mission

Contemporary

I'm familiar with the terms Mission and Arts & Crafts but cannot recall ever hearing that type of furniture referred to as Periodic. Interesting.

We have a 1906 Mission dining set made by Limbert. It still has an original sticker and all the pieces are branded.

I think creating a 3D Mission style bed would be rather easy. They usually are not very elaborate.

aqueo: Will the headboard and footboard be open or solid?

Any of them look familiar?

Ancient Greek

Renaissance

Colonial

Revival

Bauhaus

Modern

Medieval

Jacobean

Rococo

Art Nouveau

Art Deco

Mission

Contemporary

I'll take Ancient Greek for $500 Alex. :P

But seriously, as f700es said, reference images are step 1. You've got to have a good idea of what you're building before you start. I always spend a good amount of time gathering reference before starting every project.

could someone please help me out as how to design a 3d bed(periodic style) for my project ? I am using Autocad 2010 :)

Can you attach the *.dwg file of what you have attempted so far?

Thank you for all the replies and sorry if i was not clear in asking what i exactly want...i am new in making 3d furnitures on AutoCAd...periodic style bed represented as in some ancient design beds..i have attached few images as in what sort of bed i want to make...some classical designs ...:)

bed.jpg

Classical-Italian-Lacquer-Bed-Design-2.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

This sounds like a class assignment?

How long have you been studying or using Autocad?

Are you comfortable working in Autocad to create 2D drawings?

Have you ever tried to 3D Model something in Autocad?

If so, what?

What are some of the 3D Modeling commands you used, if you remember?

You might want to follow this link to the 3D Basic tutorials on this site

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/index.php?category_id=25

before diving in.

You will need to start by creating 2D orthogonal views of the bed which you decide to model,

perhaps Top, Side (either one, as most beds are symmetrical), and either one or two others, likely Front & Back,

assuming that the headboard is different from the foot of the bed.

You might want to avoid any raised panel detail work, like in the larger of your two images, because it will be harder to model, than say the wrought iron detailing on the other image you posted. :|

What size mattress is your bed frame meant to accommodate?

No point in completing the exercise only to find that you missed your mark.

Edited by Dadgad

Well that certainly isn't Mission style furniture. I'd first start by mocking up the basic shapes. Once you have that you could start working on the finer details. You'll need some pictures that show more detail than the ones posted however.

... sort of bed i want to make...

Before getting into the more complex woodwork - can you attach your attempt at the framework? This will give us an indication of your experience level and the detail of instruction needed to complete the project.

Well that certainly isn't Mission style furniture. I'd first start by mocking up the basic shapes. Once you have that you could start working on the finer details. You'll need some pictures that show more detail than the ones posted however.

No, no mission styles there. I like the top image myself. I agree with the mocking up some rough shapes then refining the design.

What was that, mission style I like the on top image.

Anyway little hint like the others draw each piece of the bed seperately Headboard, foot, side rails etc use extrude or thickness to give some depth. The command ROTATE3D can be used to rotate each part about the X & Y axis standing each piece up, use Vpoint 1,1,1 to see, you then move the parts together and you have a bed in 3d !

To make say panelling draw outside pline shape, extrude to a thickness, now using ELEV set it to your thicknes draw internal panels again extrude, set ELEV to thickness1+Thickness2 draw more internal panels extrude thickness use Union to join them all together. Also use subtract to remove material and chamfer etc to smooth edges.

Bed2.jpg

Thank you for welcoming me..:)

Yes,this is a class assignment...i have worked on 2D mode in Autocad previously and has made a plan and elevation view of an apartment as my assignment. I have also made a sitting arrangement in 3D mode and have recently learned tools like revove,extrude & region. But this vintage style bed involves lots of curves and designs which i am unable to workout properly, so looking for some guidance on it.:(

Thank you...this information certainly provide me certain ideas but i haven't learned the substract command yet..:(

wl surely try out your ideas :)

Thank you for welcoming me..:)

Yes,this is a class assignment...i have worked on 2D mode in Autocad previously and has made a plan and elevation view of an apartment as my assignment. I have also made a sitting arrangement in 3D mode and have recently learned tools like revove,extrude & region. But this vintage style bed involves lots of curves and designs which i am unable to workout properly, so looking for some guidance on it.:(

REVOLVE and EXTRUDE will almost certainly come into play, and other modeling commands which may be useful are LOFT, SWEEP, PRESSPULL, SUBTRACT & UNION.

SWEEP is particularly helpful for working along curves, like the EXTRUDE command with the Path option.

Have you checked the link I posted in post#10?

Better do it, as we all want to help you, but nobody here will do it for you.

You may want to look for some more examples, you might find one which will be appropriate and a bit less daunting.

First things first, due diligence, check that link.

Edited by Dadgad

Thank you...this information certainly provide me certain ideas but i haven't learned the substract command yet..:(

wl surely try out your ideas :)

SUBTRACT is one of the Boolean modeling commands.

You use it to subtract one 3D volume from another.

As always when using Autocad, read the commandline prompts, make the appropriate choice, and move on to the next step.

It is really too early to worry about modeling it right now, you need to figure out what bed you want to do, then start drawing it in 2D,

which will provide you the jumping off point for your 3D Model.

It is really very simple, but you need to understand and believe that you can do it.

This is smthng i tried out..but how do i make all such detailed work ??:(

Glad to see that you have done something, and that you understand how to set up multiple views in your modelspace, it is a start.

You are drawing in Imperial, and on an Imperial template, so that is good too, and your drawing units are inches, meaning that if you draw a line of length 12, it will be one foot long. :|