Using SSD and Autocad on new PC

BIGAL

That depends on both your workstation's specs, your office's network infrastructure, the drawing you're attempting to open, and where your server physically resides.

If your workstation has SSD (regardless of RAID), and your office is on a gigabit network - full gigabit capable switch(s) (i.e., not 10/100 for only 46 ports, and gigabit [10/100/1000] for the last 2 ports, etc.), and your physical/virtual file server resides within your office's physical location & is equipped with at least 1 (virtual?) gigabit NIC (or uses NIC Teaming; for Server 2012 R2, see Server Manager, Local Server tab, Properties pane, NIC Teaming) - then you're likely to have great performance.

Cheers

i actually meant about local/remote aspect ratio... meaning when opening dwg from the server the my pc reads directly from server? dwg being destributed to temporary files? downloded partialy? you name it...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• SLW210

• BIGAL

• BlackBox

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually meant about local/remote aspect ratio... meaning when opening dwg from the server the my pc reads directly from server? dwg being destributed to temporary files? downloded partialy? you name it...

Again, those performance metrics derive from the quality of the SSD you've install locally (Brand? Model? Is it, or is it not in RAID configuration, and if so which?), the latency of your network infrastructure, as well as your production Profile's settings (i.e., is XREF demand load enabled/disabled, enabled with copy? Where is your temp folder pointing to; locally I'd hope, but some offices may point to network via Group Policy / folder redirection [so user doesn't know their 'local' data is actually on the server, and being backed up], etc.)... Are you actually working locally via traditional domain/client configuration, or are you virtualized via thin client + Remote Desktop Services (RDS), in which case, the hardware/virtual specs of your RDS host (aka RDSH virtual server) will dictate performance (in addition to network infrastructure), etc.

More information is needed, in order to offer anything more then a 'yeah, sure' speculative response to such an ambiguous question, unfortunately.

Cheers