Invisible drawing content

Oljetter

hello,

I inherited a title block from someone else in the company and it is loaded with perhaps 20 MB of invisible content.

I have done the following without success to reduce the file size:

Purged many times. There are blocks which won't purge because they may be nested or for some other reason.

I have deleted the dwg bit by bit to check the file size - it remained big, even with nothing visible.

I have checked all the layers for any possible content - zoomed to extents and deleted everything on all layers.

I believe the problem lies with blocks from previous projects nested inside the drawing which won't delete.

Purging won't allow ne to delete nested or x-referenced blocks.

Any other suggestions, please!

Use quick select to see just what else is in the drawing (wipeouts etc) & I take it your purging with 2015 which removes DGN issues ;) (bloated file size)

Check your annotation scales, regapps etc

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/regapp-id-cleanup-utility-for-autocad-2015.html

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/scale-list-cleanup-utility-for-autocad-2015.html

Wblock out is an option & if all else fails see excellent posts below.

Best of luck & welcome to the forum.

p.s. you can always post your dwg for people to take a look see :)

Edited by KiLLiNG-TiME

If you dxf your drawing, it will clear out anything that is not in use. Generally, I would do this twice with a drawing of that size. So, use the command "dxfout" save the dxf somewhere, then type "dxfin" and open the dxf you just created. Do that twice then save it as an dwg. If you purge after that the drawing will be clean as a whistle.

I appreciate the prompt response. All the contributions are staight forward and make me wonder why the heck I did not think of it, but we live and learn. Tomorrow is another day.

I inherited a title block from someone else in the company and it is loaded with perhaps 20 MB of invisible content.

I have done the following without success to reduce the file size:

Purged many times. There are blocks which won't purge because they may be nested or for some other reason.

I have deleted the dwg bit by bit to check the file size - it remained big, even with nothing visible.

I have checked all the layers for any possible content - zoomed to extents and deleted everything on all layers.

I believe the problem lies with blocks from previous projects nested inside the drawing which won't delete.

Purging won't allow ne to delete nested or x-referenced blocks.

Any other suggestions, please!

Post 2 didn't assume (but he maybe blind :) yes sorry i missed the 2013 got it mixed up with joined date 2015 didn't have my magnifying glasses on) but it was just my way of saying have you looked into the DGN's issue, i like people to do at least a little research themselves, i dropped the clue, hence the wink & (bloated file size).

PS If your having issues with nested blocks you could try this lisp from the excellent Lee Mac.

http://www.lee-mac.com/extractnestedblock.html

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aextractnestedblock_windows32and64%3aen

Edited by KiLLiNG-TiME
can't bloody spell