double curved solid

johhny comelately

hi everyone,

attached is a solid with double curves.

on the double curved surface i want to create a step for a ring seal that will be fitted by coming straight down therefore needing parallel side on the inner diameter.

that inner diameter has to be parallel with the outer diameter (the edge of the double curve).

is this possible ?

if so how can it be done?double curved.jpg

In the interest of clarity, is the idea to make something like this:

yes, that is it.

would you mind sharing how you did it, and is it possible (to manufacture) or an optical illusion?

yes, that is it.

would you mind sharing how you did it, and is it possible (to manufacture) or an optical illusion?

Looks like SEANT is offline at the moment, you could do something like this using the SHELL command in vanilla Autocad, if you started with two of the internal parts, then created a shell of the appropriate thickness, from which you would subtract the top and bottom faces (midcommand). That would generate the shape, which you could move down by the thickness of that groove.

If JD sees this, I am sure he can give you an authoritative response about the manufacturing (I would say yes, it can) feasability, as well as a clever way to do it correctly in Inventor.

Edited by Dadgad

Looks like SEANT is offline at the moment, you could do something like this using the SHELL command in vanilla Autocad, if you started with two of the internal parts, then created a shell of the appropriate thickness, from which you would subtract the top and bottom faces (midcommand). That would generate the shape, which you could move down by the thickness of that groove. Or you could use the SLICE command in TOP view and use a CIRCLE as your slicing object. At the prompt, save BOTH, then move one of them up or down by the appropriate amount, and then either Slice or stretch one of them to fix the bottoms being non coplanar.

If JD sees this, I am sure he can give you an authoritative response about the manufacturing (I would say yes, it can) feasability, as well as a clever way to do it correctly in Inventor.

thank you Dadgad

Yes I did use AutoCAD. So I would not be of much help with regard to the proper Inventor technique. I thought it would helpful, at least, to put a possible image to a description.

Mildly different method as listed by Dadgad, but same general result: Created top surface, sliced cylinder, copied edge, swept circle, imprint, offset face.

Here is the AutoCAD file if it is of any help.

DoubleCrv.dwg

An Acis file (.sat) may work better with Inventor. See inside the attached Zip.

Thank you very much Seant

I would have simply used the Lip command in Inventor.

About 10 seconds of work. (I try to avoid work.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53877[/ATTACH]

thanks very much JDMather, keep up the good work :)

I had a sneaking suspicion JD would know an EASY (meaning energy & time efficient) way! :beer:

Or a handful of ways.

Edited by Dadgad

Extrude-Cut to an Offset surface would be another way.

Sweep-Cut with Guide surface....

Split Face, Thicken-Cut....

...maybe half a dozen other ways.