+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Default alert box question - layer change

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

When I select some entities and send them to a layer that is off, frozen or both, I get an alert box that says "One or more objects has been moved to a frozen or turned off layer." That only happens when I send them off using the properties dialog box, when I send them off using the layers pulldown in the ribbon menu, I don't get this alert box. I prefer the second method only when I have a dwg with xrefs, because it won't list the huge list of xrefs, but I prefer the properties box because it does a lot more, but that alert box is annoying, can it be turned off?
    I'm using 2011 and am wondering if they have or will make the layers pulldown in the properties box filter out xref layers?
    Thanks!
    R.L. Hamm

Forum Deity
    Computer Details
    nestly's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Layers Warning.jpg
    I believe the following to be correct in reference to the warning message above:

1) There is no way to suppress the warning when sending an object to an OFF or Frozen layer via Properties Palette. (all versions 2011-2016)

2) EXPERT sysvar (EXPERT=1) will suppress the warning when sending an object to an OFF or Frozen layer via Layers Toolbar (all versions 2011-2016)

3) Sending an object to and OFF or Frozen Layer via the Ribbon Layer dropdown will not give the warning in 2011, but it will in 2012 thru 2016

4) Beginning in 2014, Xref layers are not included in the Properties Layer dropdown list.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by nestly View Post
    Attachment 53843
    I believe the following to be correct in reference to the warning message above:

1) There is no way to suppress the warning when sending an object to an OFF or Frozen layer via Properties Palette. (all versions 2011-2016)

2) EXPERT sysvar (EXPERT=1) will suppress the warning when sending an object to an OFF or Frozen layer via Layers Toolbar (all versions 2011-2016)

3) Sending an object to and OFF or Frozen Layer via the Ribbon Layer dropdown will not give the warning in 2011, but it will in 2012 thru 2016

4) Beginning in 2014, Xref layers are not included in the Properties Layer dropdown list.
    Nestly, that's quite a comprehensive assessment of the problem, nicely done.

For those who may be unfamiliar with the EXPERT system variable, it is very helpful, especially so, as one becomes more proficient with the software, as described by the screeshot from the SYSVDLG command.
    Attached Images
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.