• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pixel8er

• JamCAD

• Cad64

• tzframpton

Thanks everyone for their input so far. This is the proposed build I've arrived at...

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/DfLff7

The 2 x WD HDD will be in a RAID 1 arrangement. Any final thoughts on the parts?

It's looking quite good. Only other thing is that I did notice that the Asus Z97M-PLUS Motherboard is a Micro ATX and a lot smaller in size to the standard ATX Motherboards. Also it doesn't support SLI (two graphics cards working in unison) if you use just 2 monitors and you have no intention of upgrading in the future then it's a great option. However if there is a remote possibility in the future that you want to upgrade your graphics card OR if you want to live every drafters dream of using multiple monitors (more than 2) then I would avoid it altogether and get the Asus Z97-A. One other thing is that the Asus Z97M-PLUS supports less case fans than Asus Z97-A, however this isn't much of a problem as you can usually connect extra fans directly to the PSU. Personally I would fork out an extra $50 for the Asus Z97-A (it's not much considering how much I'm spending anyway) as I'd be more comfortable with the knowledge that I could upgrade to 3 or 4 monitors without having to upgrade my entire computer. Is there any particular reason why go for the WD HDD? Reason I'm asking is if you really wanted to keep the price down then why not go for the Asus Z97-A mobo and go for slightly cheaper 3TB 7200RPM HDDs?

I agree on ditching the Micro ATX, you should also consider the 850 Pro or Evo over the 840 Evo.

If you have little use and want to trim some $$$$, go to dual 2 TB HDDs, I would still Max the RAM, it also helps save the SDD from swapping, a lot more bang for your $$$.

+1 on no Micro ATX as well. Performance of the board overall is usually lacking and you don't want to get caught not being able to upgrade later. Full size boards, always, so you're never pigeon hole'd.

Ok thanks again for all the advice. I'm pretty excited now - can't wait to get it... http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/gqLqyc

I changed out the mobo and the SSD.

SLW210 the 2TB were only about $30 less so went with the 3TB.

f700es the HDD are for my work storage. The software will go on the SSD

One thing to consider is RAM latency and clock speed. Some RAM at 1866 MHz will outperform high clock speed RAM (2400 MHz) if the CAS latency is lower on the 1866 RAM. You can sometimes save a few bucks and gain some additional performance look at this.

f700es the HDD are for my work storage. The software will go on the SSD

No server storage for work files? If not use a good backup system.

No server storage for work files? If not use a good backup system.

This is my home computer so no server. Yes will need a good backup system. What do you recommend?

One thing to consider is RAM latency and clock speed. Some RAM at 1866 MHz will outperform high clock speed RAM (2400 MHz) if the CAS latency is lower on the 1866 RAM. You can sometimes save a few bucks and gain some additional performance look at this.

I didn't know about CAS latency, thanks - I'll check it out

The CAS latency is 11 for my 2133 MHz RAM. I could spend $50 more and get CAS 9 2133 MHz...but not sure if there would be any noticeable difference in AutoCAD and 3ds Max

This is my home computer so no server. Yes will need a good backup system. What do you recommend?

Depends on your needs, you can use one of the cloud services, external NAS, an external HDD, an internal HDD, DVDs/Tapes, etc. and best would be a combination of two or more methods, as needed.