New computer critique wanted

pixel8er

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the computer build I'm thinking about. Mainly 2D AutoCAD with a little 3ds Max visualisation. Obviously I could spend more and get a better box but hoping it's good bang for buck.

http://goo.gl/eXeazm

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pixel8er

• JamCAD

• Cad64

• tzframpton

That's actually seems to be quite a good build to me. You seem to have packed a good punch for the price. Just a few comments:

SSD and HDD: Do you need 4gb, could you make do with just 3gb? Personally if it was me I would rather buy 2 x 3GB HDD for example the Seagate Barracuda drives for a total of $278 which is less than the single 4gb HDD. You can then set them up as a RAID 1 drives so that they are mirror images of each other. You could also set up system backups from the SSD to HDDs. That way you don't have to worry about any of the 3 drives failing as your data will always be recoverable (unless both of the HDD's fail at the same time). If you already have a back up system in place then you could set them up as RAID 0 and effectively have 6gb storage.

Personally I would not go for 16gb RAM for mostly 2d AutoCAD as it seems a bit of an overkill. I have 12gb at work and it runs no problem at all. Also you could probably get 16gb of faster RAM for the same price or less. Perhaps look at 1800 or 2100 mhz or better. Personally I would think you would only need 32gb if you were in a 3d animation studio... But if that was the case you'd probably use a render farm anyway :) Personally I'd only get 16gb RAM.

I would seriously consider the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO over the Arctic Cooler you chose. Do a google search it is generally considered one of the best sub $50 coolers + it's slightly cheaper than the Arctic cooler.

Also just wondering why you went for the k620 rather than the gtx960 as you were thinking in this post? Overall the gtx960 is a much better performing card than k620 if you compare them and look at actual tests done. Although the gtx960 hasn't officially been tested by AutoDesk so there is a small risk that it will cause problems with the software However IMO this risk is very small and I wasn't able to find anything online about AutoCAD not working with the gtx 960, in fact quite the opposite. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-7.html. I also noted that the k620 was not officially tested for the 2016 versions of AutoCAD and 3ds Max, although it was for the earlier versions.

Also did you need a DVD drive or Operating system?

Also you might want to shop around. I did the the same build (or as close as possible)as you and came up at $2266.99

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/j0nat/saved/#view=GhRypg

Also here is a similar build with my suggested changes coming in at about $200 less:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/j0nat/saved/#view=PvHscf

By the way that is my pcpartpicker profile and I have some other builds as well. Although all the other ones are a bit older so they might not reflect the actual cad system I would build now.

Edited by JamCAD

That is definitely a stout build for 2D AutoCAD and "little" 3ds Max visualization. You could cut $1,000 off this computer and still wouldn't see a difference in performance. So if you're satisfied with this build, then you're well equipped.

The only thing I'd consider is a gaming card rather than a Quadro series. Definitely more "bang for the buck" if you swap that out.

I will never make the mistake of skimping on RAM ever again. I did that when I got my last computer and ended up having to purchase and install more. Since you will be using Studio Max for 3D work, I would recommend sticking with the 32GB you have listed in your build. RAM is relatively cheap these days, so if it were me, I would get the maximum amount that the MB can hold.

And I agree with Tanner. GeForce cards work fine. No need for a high priced Quadro.

That is definitely a stout build for 2D AutoCAD and "little" 3ds Max visualization. You could cut $1,000 off this computer and still wouldn't see a difference in performance.

That depends what is meant by "2d". I worked with a 80mb+ survey file that's technically 2d, no 3d polylines or solids. I certainly noticed AutoCAD running slower :-)

I will never make the mistake of skimping on RAM ever again. I did that when I got my last computer and ended up having to purchase and install more. Since you will be using Studio Max for 3D work, I would recommend sticking with the 32GB you have listed in your build. RAM is relatively cheap these days, so if it were me, I would get the maximum amount that the MB can hold.

Out of curiosity how much RAM did your last one have? Personally I would be quite happy with 16gb and wouldn't consider that skimping. I guess it all depends on how much the op actually uses 3ds Max and how large the models are.

I went with 12GB when I got my last computer but was having display issues in 3D viewports, and problems when trying to run multiple programs at the same time. I routinely have 3, 4 or even 5 programs open simultaneously, working back and forth between them. So I doubled my RAM to 24GB and the display issues are gone and I can have all my programs open, working seamlessly between them with no problems. I realize though that the average user probably doesn't tax their system as hard as I do, so maybe 16GB would be good enough for most, but if the difference between 16GB or 32GB is only going to save me a couple hundred dollars, I would go for the 32GB just to be on the safe side.

I think 32GB is the standard nowadays for any CAD design to alleviate issues with simultaneous general Windows multitasking. It's a minimum for large Revit / Navisworks projects. 64GB is preferred if budget allows. SSD's is the most under-estimated performance enhancer, overall. But tricky because all other components matter too. It's definitely a comprehensive union of parts - not just that "one thing" that makes or breaks anymore.

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the computer build I'm thinking about. Mainly 2D AutoCAD with a little 3ds Max visualisation. Obviously I could spend more and get a better box but hoping it's good bang for buck.

http://goo.gl/eXeazm

Thanks

Paul

Laptop Or Desktop ?

Tell me your budget and ill recommend you for one (spent enough on "workstation" "High End" $#@#$@ equipment , Now i know what you dont need...)

RAM is pretty cheap, I would give it all the Motherboard would see.

Why a 4TB HDD? I'm guessing just for files/storage, Do you have something that will backup that big of a drive?

It is definitely just fine the way it is.

Go for the gamer card for sure unless you think you need a recommended/supported card.

I went with 12GB when I got my last computer but was having display issues in 3D viewports, and problems when trying to run multiple programs at the same time.

I guess the difference could be that I don't work with 3d viewports :-/

Edited by JamCAD

Hi JamCAD. Wow...great post! Thanks for going in depth. Just what I was hoping for.

Agree on the HDD. That makes great sense to set 2 up as RAID 1. I think that will be much better for me.

I went for 32Gb RAM because I figured that you can never have too much and it would help with multi-tasking. I will be doing some 3D visualisation as well so thought the extra would help. If I'm getting tight for the end price maybe I'll get 2 x 8Gb sticks and see how that goes. I can always buy more later if it proves necessary.

With the cooler as you suggest the Cooler Master looks a much better choice - and cheaper too! Win win.

The graphics card I've found the hardest to nail down. I've read good things about the GTX960 but concerned that it's not on the certified list which would give access to the AutoDesk drivers like the Quadro K620. Prob leaning to the GTX though giving better bang for buck

I'm shopping round and even though the listed prices on part picker is less I still need to get it to Perth. But will definitely use it as a bargaining tool to get the best price.

That is definitely a stout build for 2D AutoCAD and "little" 3ds Max visualization. You could cut $1,000 off this computer and still wouldn't see a difference in performance. So if you're satisfied with this build, then you're well equipped.

The only thing I'd consider is a gaming card rather than a Quadro series. Definitely more "bang for the buck" if you swap that out.

I'm definitely open to getting more bang for buck. I don't have much hardware experience so have prob been guilty of over-spending without seeing much if any performance increase. I'm looking at the Geforce GTX 960 graphics card.

And I agree with Tanner. GeForce cards work fine. No need for a high priced Quadro.

Point taken about the RAM. Though I can always get 16Gb (2 x 8Gb) to start with then get another 2 x 8Gb later if it needs it.

The Quadro K620 is $264.90 and the Geforce GTX960 is $266.90

That being the case which is the better choice? The benchmarks suggest the GeForce...

Edited by pixel8er

I went with 12GB when I got my last computer but was having display issues in 3D viewports, and problems when trying to run multiple programs at the same time. I routinely have 3, 4 or even 5 programs open simultaneously, working back and forth between them. So I doubled my RAM to 24GB and the display issues are gone and I can have all my programs open, working seamlessly between them with no problems. I realize though that the average user probably doesn't tax their system as hard as I do, so maybe 16GB would be good enough for most, but if the difference between 16GB or 32GB is only going to save me a couple hundred dollars, I would go for the 32GB just to be on the safe side.

I'm also one for having a few programs open...

I think 32GB is the standard nowadays for any CAD design to alleviate issues with simultaneous general Windows multitasking. It's a minimum for large Revit / Navisworks projects. 64GB is preferred if budget allows. SSD's is the most under-estimated performance enhancer, overall. But tricky because all other components matter too. It's definitely a comprehensive union of parts - not just that "one thing" that makes or breaks anymore.

Well said. It's the union of the parts that is tricky for me. The different nuances and benefits of the individual parts that either add (ideally) or subtract from the end result.

Laptop Or Desktop ?

Tell me your budget and ill recommend you for one (spent enough on "workstation" "High End" $#@#$@ equipment , Now i know what you dont need...)

Desktop. I'm in Australia and my budget is $2-$2.5k.

Why a 4TB HDD? I'm guessing just for files/storage, Do you have something that will backup that big of a drive?

No nothing that big to backup. As suggested I'm prob better to go for 2 drives in a RAID arrangement

The Quadro K620 is $264.90 and the Geforce GTX960 is $266.90

That being the case which is the better choice? The benchmarks suggest the GeForce...

I have always used gaming cards and they have always worked fine for me, so, I would go with the GTX 960. But, if you're going to downgrade the RAM to 16GB, I would put that extra money into the video card and go for the GTX 970. It's a little more expensive but much better bang for buck.

I have always used gaming cards and they have always worked fine for me, so, I would go with the GTX 960. But, if you're going to downgrade the RAM to 16GB, I would put that extra money into the video card and go for the GTX 970. It's a little more expensive but much better bang for buck.

Thanks Cad64. I'm leaning towards the gaming cards. Just the lure of a quadro as I've never had one.