Can part of line be switched to another layer?

samerickson89

I'm trying to add doors where currently there are just lines for walls. Right now I'm doing that by drawing intersecting lines to use as reference points, using the trim feature to cut where I want the door, then draw the door and delete the reference lines. It's pretty time consuming, so I'm hoping there's a way I can just select two points on the line and switch the layer between those two points, leaving the rest of the wall in the original layer.

Does anyone know of a way to do this, or have any other way to make this task go a little faster? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

There is really no way to do that. A line is a line, and doesn't have any points or parts, unless you introduce them. There is the break option, but it is as time consuming as trim. One way to cut down on the number of clicks you are doing is to use a rectangle as your trim fence. Surround the door area with one and trim away what's inside. Or you could leave the lines and then trim to the door after it's in. You do know that there is a door block that comes with AutoCad on the architectural tool palettes that you can insert without having to draw your own door, right? It is dynamic, and can resize to standard door sizes, flip to the other side of the wall, and change the opening angle after you insert it. The most you would ever have to do to it outside of the dynamic actions, is to rotate it into position on some walls.

I'm trying to add doors where currently there are just lines for walls.

Does anyone know of a way to do this, or have any other way to make this task go a little faster? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Listen to Dana, and use the dynamic door block of which he speaks. :beer:

Just make sure you choose the appropriate one, as there are two on that palette, one an Imperial version and the other a Metric version.

Agree with Dana I have a draw door so it asks for distance from wall edge and width of door then auto breaks and draws all components of door frame and arc for swing of door. So if your going to draw lots of doors (& windows) you may want to think about lisps etc.

3dhouse.jpg

Oh wow you guys are way out of my league! I'm just drawing 2d floor plans using PDF's as a reference. Every wall/door/window is just a single line. But the rectangle idea sounds like it will at least cut down some time by using fewer clicks for each one. Thanks for that, Dana!

Edited by samerickson89
I can't spell

Oh wow you guys are way out of my league! I'm just drawing 2d floor plans using PDF's as a reference. Every wall/door/window in just a single line. But the rectangle idea sounds like it will at least cut down some time by using fewer clicks for each one. Thanks for that, Dana!
The 2D AutoCad block I was refering to is simply a symbol for a door. It has a rectangle for the door, and a single line arc, and a couple of lines to represent the actual finished opening. nothing more. Just insert it in the middle of nowhere, and play around with it. You will learn to love it, if you do a lot of floor plans. It is Noob simple. Do not let anyone stay over your head for long.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the wipeout command to create a mask that covers the line portions that are inside your door. Then if you need to move your door the mask travels with it and covers the line work inside your door at the new position and the line work is revealed at the old position. It would be most beneficial to create a block for your door including the wipeout....

Yeah, wipeouts still don't hold draw order very well.

& some PDF plotters don't like them at all.

Best avoided.

...but a solid hatch colour 255,255,255 seems to always work fine

edit: except in a block, where draworder seems to be literally just that - reverts back to whatever was drawn last is on top, regardless of how you try & change it.

I agree with not using wipeout as well. Just like RobDraw stated, the things never hold their draw order. Tricky little things

I'm trying to add doors where currently there are just lines for walls. Right now I'm doing that by drawing intersecting lines to use as reference points, using the trim feature to cut where I want the door, then draw the door and delete the reference lines. It's pretty time consuming, so I'm hoping there's a way I can just select two points on the line and switch the layer between those two points, leaving the rest of the wall in the original layer.

As Dana said... Lines are lines...

However to avoid to waste time you could use this strategy :

1 make a block of the door

2 make another (temporary) block with inside the block of the door and all lines you need (even of the wall and temporary to trim)

3 put all of those blocks in the right position and explore them. So when you place a door you place at the same time all lines you need.

4 then turn off all layers except walls and temporary lines you use to trim

Instead use block of block you could use group/ungroup commands.

Edited by marmo

Sometimes to draw faster walls I use rectangles.

I draw all walls with rectangles without mind joints and doors passages.

Then I transform them in a unique region using the command region and union.

Then I place at the same time all doors with a temporary rectangle (usually grouped).

Then I isolate the layer of these rectangles and I make another unique region.

Then I use the command subtract to trim all walls with 2 clicks.

Then you could explode the final region to have all lines.

Sometimes to draw faster walls I use rectangles.

I draw all walls with rectangles without mind joints and doors passages.

Then I transform them in a unique region using the command region and union.

Then I place at the same time all doors with a temporary rectangle (usually grouped).

Then I isolate the layer of these rectangles and I make another unique region.

Then I use the command subtract to trim all walls with 2 clicks.

Then you could explode the final region to have all lines.

This sounds like an outstanding opportunity to create a MULTILINE style, really simple, and would save you lots of steps. :)

This sounds like an outstanding opportunity to create a MULTILINE style, really simple, and would save you lots of steps. :)

Mline could be faster to draw walls, but it works like a simple line when you have to trim it.

Edited by marmo