AutoCad Architecture - Scaling to fit Sheets

built4thekill

Hi There,

Could do with some help/advice on this matter:

I've completed a set of drawings - floor plans and elevations - with ACA.

Now I'm creating sheets and I setup the pages in A3 size. Most of my views, when drag and dropped from the project bar onto the A3 sheets fit nicely except one. This is the Site Plan which longer than the others since it includes the surrounding landscape. My initial solution was to change the sheet size to A2. But is there a way to scale the drawing to fit the A3 page? Should I go to the construct and use the scale tool? I'm thinking select all, scale it down by 50% so the scale changes to 1:100 to 1:200. What if I want to scale it to 1:150, then I scale it down by 66.666%? That doesn't sound quite right. I know for this particular project I can just change the sheet to A2, but for future reference and of course for my own knowledge I'd like to know what the best options are...

thanks a bunch!!

You should be scaling in Paperspace, through a viewport, the scale of which you set to display the contents properly.

Once set up and scaled, remember to LOCK the viewport so that it will stay that way, unless you mean to change it later, in which case you can unlock it.

EVERYTHING in your modelspace should be life sized, and scaling will be applied in the paperspace viewport to suit.

We use A1 sheets but plot 1/2 scale to A3 sometimes we get request for full size, generally with tender projects the successfull candidate gets 1 set only of the A1 size and we provide pdfs etc for as many A3's as they want to print. It just helps sometimes on drawings that have a lot of details and the larger size makes it easier to read.

Since you are using AutoCAD Architecture, I would suggest that you utilize the Project Navigator environment for the best results. This is only if you plan to use AutoCAD Architecture in the manner it was intended. You can start to read in the Help file to get you acquainted: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadarchitecture/enu/online-help/browse#WS308e602fa5632d5d16ff9e0f966754aed-8000.htm

After you read up to Constructs, then the "Views" and "Sheets" will be how you manage your documentation. But I would advise to read everything before you get to Views and Sheets. Jumping the gun will surely put you on the wrong path.

Hi, I have read about the common architectural scale online and it said that what you need to do is to start drawing and they can print out 1:1 on an A3 sheet or 'fit to paper'.