Very Large 24,000kb DWG question

sparkyuk

Hello All

I have received a very large dwg 24,000kb from a consultant and it is slowing my PC down big time, been checking it through and found it was just one of the 3 floors that is causing the large size as if I save just that floor its 19,000kb by its self, after a little searching I found that the AC units on the roof are to blame for a lot of the size they are over 8,000kb just for them alone.

My question is why are they such a large size and has anyone got the same block in a smaller size I can change mine to please?

I was unable to upload the block here "to big a file" so a picture is the best I can do :oops:

AC Unit.jpg

My question is why are they such a large size and has anyone got the same block in a smaller size I can change mine to please?

I expect that the block was off the manufacturers web-site with every nut and bolt modelled in 3D.

Why not edit the block so that it only has the outside casing?

I would try EXPORTTOAUTOCAD first.

If they are blocks, just open in Block Editor and clean them up or even better, put them in a new drawing, Explode them, run Overkill, I usually find Blocks that large are 3D originally with lots of duplication on top of the line work. You may also want to run Audit, -PURGE.

There are a Multitude of threads around on reducing file sizes and cleaning up drawings.

@eldon I think you are correct huge amount of detail that is not needed in this drawing

@ SLW210 exploding and overkill did this 41133 overlapping object(s) or segment(s) deleted and now its half the size but still 4,000 kb far to big so I will change the drawing to have a simpler outline of it as that crazy having 8,000kb for one AC unit , just never come across a drawing that large before.

I had already tried purge and also ran audit but not much change to drawing size , I see you say use -Purge not Purge when i try this it asks for name is that the block name its asking for and if so how will I find the block name please?

@eldon I think you are correct huge amount of detail that is not needed in this drawing

@ SLW210 exploding and overkill did this 41133 overlapping object(s) or segment(s) deleted and now its half the size but still 4,000 kb far to big so I will change the drawing to have a simpler outline of it as that crazy having 8,000kb for one AC unit , just never come across a drawing that large before.

I had already tried purge and also ran audit but not much change to drawing size , I see you say use -Purge not Purge when i try this it asks for name is that the block name its asking for and if so how will I find the block name please?

If you run the commandline version of the purge command, you need to include the hyphen (-purge) & do it as follows...

-purge;r;;n;;a;;n;_qsave;;_audit;y;_qsave

@dadgad did that and it ended up larger size lol must be me

@Remark yes I did explode still the same result.

Guys thanks for your very much for your help but I have opted for a simple rectangle instead of that block and file is now down to 2.000kb which is fine

PEDIT>M>ALL>JOIN will help as well.

Did you try -exporttoautocad or aectoacad?

I deal with this from time to time, but that one is exceptionally large for a manufacturer's block.

Seems like a 3D Block someone flattened, you may be able to get the 2D version straight from manufacturer that might be a smaller file.

When I download manufacturer's drawing I get the 3D and the 2D if available.

@dadgad did that and it ended up larger size lol must be me

@Remark yes I did explode still the same result.

Guys thanks for your very much for your help but I have opted for a simple rectangle instead of that block and file is now down to 2.000kb which is fine

If you explode a block that complicated, then each little polyline segment, radius and arc becomes an entity. Thus the increase in file size. I often have to bring in xrefs from architects that are loaded with such blocks. During the xref clean-ip process, I usually draw a rectangle, as you did, around the elevators, generators, kitchen equipment, and so forth, then erase the blocks leaving the rectangles, then -PURGE > ALL. I found one ventilator block similar to yours that had 13 nested blocks inside it.

Spot on Dana thats was the best way around this problem who need a photo perfect version of a Air Con Condenser lol