Xref Not Updating With Layer Colour Change After Reload

Unick

Hi

I am using LT 2005 extender. When I alter a colour of a layer in a base drawing which is xrefed into another drawing. When I reload the xref it does not reflect the colour change. The only way to make the xfref update is to detach, then re-attach the base drawing. Is there a way of making the xfref update with layer colour changes without having to reattach the base drawing?

Thanks

Just adding to this...discovered visretian when looking to retain linetype changes on xrefs already dragged into drawings as in original post. However, does visretain have an impact on freezing layers on an xref when viewed thru a viewport...

Someone in our office wanted to freeze off a layer in an xref and it seemed the only way to do it was thru visretain. It was possible if visretain was 0, but save and reopen and it had thawed again. Visretain 1 and it remembered the freeze. Is this the correct use of visretain?

Thx

• 11 years later...

I would like to kick this question because my co-worker asked me a valid question.

The post from Dan suggest something i always thought was still the case (haven't tested it, but that's what i am here for :) ).

So my question, on what setting should the VISRETAIN command be?

As standard it set to 1, problem with this is when changing colors in a xref, they don't update when reloading. So i change VISRETAIN to 0, reload xrey and turn visretain back to 1.

i have the experience that when leaving VISRETAIN on 0 the frozen layers won't stay frozen in viewports as Dan states.

Is this still the case these days? My coworker doesn't seem to recognize this case since he don't remember ever having to use the visretain command. But i use it almost on a weekly basis.

We always have VISRETAIN on 1, since we always override a couple of layer settings for each DWG we make.

Only when we want to do a hard 'reset' of a XREF we change VISRETAIN to 0.

Since AutoCAD 2018 there is a option to reset XREF settings even with visretian on 1 (With the LAyer Manger)

I gues it depends on the way you work, and the type of DWG's you make. :-)