Modeling St Mary Axe Using Spline

basty

Can someone show me to create a 3D model of St Mary Axe using spline in AutoCAD?

I know that it can be modeled by using revolve command.

It would have been helpful to include a screenshot graphic, as I might help, but don't feel it is my responsibility to do all the research too. :|

If you already know how to model it with REVOLVE, why do you need to do it with a spline?

I looked it up and was surprised to find that it's actually a building and not the tool that Mary uses for chopping wood. :lol:

Thanks Cad, I should have thought she would have put one of her sons in charge of the firewood. :)

Now that I hear that it is in fact a building, I am even more curious about the desire to 3D Model it using a spline? :huh:

Are you trying to get the shaped helix as splines - such as this?

Nicely done SEANT, you certainly made that look easy! :beer:

Nothing to fear but fear itself.

Thanks Dadgad.

Comparing the two again, though, it looks like my helices are too tightly wound. Oh well. If it turns out the objective of the OP was this type of geometry I might try again, to better match the image.

Thanks Dadgad.

Comparing the two again, though, it looks like my helices are too tightly wound. Oh well. If it turns out the objective of the OP was this type of geometry I might try again, to better match the image.

Be that as it may, and you would know much better than I! :beer:

But that didn't stop me from taking your nice effort around the 3D Solid modeling block.

It ain't perfect, but lots of fun, having used that nice jumping off point you posted.

that was fun courtesy of SEANT.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Are you trying to get the shaped helix as splines - such as this?

Great model.

Could you write here how to create it step-by-step?

Nice. How large did the file become once you converted the geometry to solids?

Pretty big, more than 3mb.

I used NCopy to drag out a spline, then swept a square rotated 45 degrees along it.

Then I MIRRORed & ARRAYed that. I added a taper to the path swept spline, as shown in the screenshot, which makes it more realistic.

Time constrained right now. It was too big to post.

I posted the 3D Solid bit, ready to be ARRAYed, generated from SEANT's nice splines.

This is finally small enough to upload.

If it needs to be 3D Solids, the array can be exploded, but it certainly adds some weight to an already big file.

Very interesting building design, highly energy efficient, the top floor is a bar, which looks to be quite a spectacular venue. :shock:

Thanks for doing that SEANT! :beer:

Glad you drew the Helix SEANT, as I tried and was unable to figure out how to do it smoothly, with a bulge in the middle. :huh:

SMA array particulars.JPG

better scaled along path.JPG

SMA top view.jpg

better mak that a double.JPG

surface and solids.JPG

SMA Bits Only 2.dwg

Edited by Dadgad

Basty in your other, St Mary Axe thread, I attached a drawing which was derived from the outstanding Surface Model which SEANT kindly posted.

The drawing which I posted contains a 3D Solid generated along one of Sean's splines.

If you open that, and follow my instructions, you too just might be able to do it.

But if you don't TRY, it won't happen.

Having spent a fair bit of my Sunday playing around with this,

I am surprised & sorry to see, that you appear to have blown the other thread off. :|

Have you returned to that thread? :)

Or do you just post questions, to which forum members respond, and then walk away? :huh:

I also included a short list of instructions in post#13 detailing how I created the 3D Solid shown in the screen shots, from SPLINES. :|

Edited by Dadgad

I've merged posts 14 and 15 into this thread. No need to start a new thread asking to see the spline model. Everything is here in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

What I meant is, how to create the 2D cross section of the St. Mary Axe as close as possible to the real one using spline tool in AutoCAD such as image below:

axe.png

• 5 years later...