AutoCAD 3D scene rendering

ThunderRoad

Hi all! I want to make a render similar to (inspired by) this one:

KduTvlH.png

But i'm not sure how to make the grass and trees in AutoCAD...

Do i have to model them?

If so, can i use a matrix over a surface to spread the model? How?

Can i use blocks? Is there some kind of block that will render like in the picture?

thanks! :thumbsup:

Honestly, don't use AutoCAD to do it. I love using AutoCAD but you have to come to terms with what a program can and can't do (or do well). You can model the house in AutoCAD for sure. The grass, trees and terrain would be better done in something more suited for them. I am sure others can add in more details and suggestions.

There are many other programs available that are much better suited for this sort of work, but it all depends on your budget and how much you are willing to spend. I just purchased Vue from e-on software and it excels at this sort of rendering. Another thing to consider is where you're going to get plants and trees. Most 3D programs come with a small sampling of plant models, but if you want a good variety then you will have to purchase plant libraries from Xfrog or Evermotion or one of the other plant modelers.

Vue would be my choice for landscape rendering as well. Xfrog usually always has lots of free models to download. For me I would use SketchUp for the model and then use Vue for the rendering.

Hi there! Thanks for the answers :D. Unfortunately it is a work for college, so i have to use AutoCAD. I was wondering if there's a way to do something similar.

I dont mind modeling a "unit" of grass and a tree but i think you cannot do a matrix of a model over a surface right? So any ideas? :geek:

Photoshop or a GNU license equivalent for rendering post-production is also a good way to achieve satisfactory results. In a lot of cases it's the most preferred method. Grass, trees and other landscape items are very difficult to master in terms of realism, so processing real photos into a rendered scene has huge benefits. AutoCAD can produce stunning 3D renders for non-organic material objects and goes well with post-processing methods.

Sometimes not everything needs to be modeled, and landscape/nature environments are usually the first categories that hold true to this philosophy. This is only my view. You can certainly give it a shot for the trees, but the grass will be very difficult if you want to replicate the scene attached in your first post.

-TZ

I dont mind modeling a "unit" of grass and a tree but i think you cannot do a matrix of a model over a surface right? So any ideas?

Correct. AutoCAD is not really the right program for doing what you're asking. In other 3D programs you can create proxies or replicas of a clump of grass and then distribute the grass object across a terrain surface using a scattering system to create a grassy field or hillside. In AutoCAD you would have to manually place each grass object which would be very tedious and time consuming. It could be done, I guess, but I wouldn't want to do it.

FYI: Here's a render I did recently in Modo, using the replica scattering method I mentioned: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?91686-Environment-I. All the plants are 3D. No Photoshop.

If you only have AutoCAD to work with, I would recommend doing what Tannar described. Model and render the house in AutoCAD and then use an image editing program to add plants and trees.