layers won't delete

gib65

There are some layers in my drawing that won't delete in the layers properties manager. I don't know why. It gives me 4 possible reasons:

- It might be layer 0 or a Defpoint (whatever that is).

- It is the current layer

- It is an Xref dependent layer

- It is a layer containing objects

But none of these, to my knowledge, apply. There could be things on the layer that I'm just not seeing, but I've looked thoroughly. I even zoomed out to the extents, highlighted the whole area, and clicked the erase tool, but it still won't go away. I got the file from another computer, so it might be an Xref dependent layer and the Xref'ed files just didn't come with it. How would I be able to tell - and how could I remove the Xref dependency?

Other than that, is there any other reason a layer won't delete? Can I force it to delete?

type XR in the command line to bring up the Xref Manager.... if there are any Xref's, detach them. next, use the PURGE command to get rid of any blocks or anything that might be using that layer.... after that, then try and delete your layer.

also, if you have Express Tools installed, use the Layer Delete command. if you don't have anything visible on the layer, draw a line on the layer you want to delete, and use ET to do it. just as long as the layer isn't current, you're good to go. hope this helps. 8)

Well, I tried xr, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the list. I also tried purging absolutely everything. After doing that, I was able to delete the layer I was currently on when purging. But all other layers still seem to not want to delete. I tried switching the current layer to one of the other ones, purging again, but this time the purge buttons were disabled. So I'm lead assume that if you purge everything once, you've purged everything period - that is, it is not done on a per-layer basis. I'm not too familiar with purging or Xrefs, so I may be doing something wrong.

If anyone has any more suggestions, I be glad to hear them.

PURGE basically deletes things that aren't in use. for instance, you know how you insert a block, after you delete the block, the reference of it is still hanging around? PURGING will get rid of it. if there's a text style that's not in use, PURGING will get rid of it.... etc etc. try isolating layers, and see what you can get all onto one layer.....

what version of CAD are you running? and just to be certain, you're not talking about Layer Filters are you?

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread but in case someone else comes here and has a similar problem, try the LAYDEL command;

Draw something on the layer you want to delete, and then remove the whole layer with it.

Civ3d will hang on to the layers that are used in any style you can not delete them, but in 2013 you can delete un used styles then purge/delete you did not include what version your are using.

• 2 years later...

Hi All, There are some layers in my drawing that won't delete in the layers properties manager. I have used LAYDEL command to delete that layers. But still my file DWG file size is more than 10Mb. Please help me to reduce my DWG file size. (Note: I have used PURGE and AUDIT commands already) Regards, Balaji

It would help to know what version of autocad you are on. But either way, if you dxf your drawing, it will clear out anything that is not in use. Generally, I would do this twice with a drawing of that size. So, use the command "dxfout" save the dxf somewhere, then type "dxfin" and open the dxf you just created. Do that twice then save it as an dwg. If you purge after that the drawing will be clean as a whistle.

The drawing file size may have little or nothing to do with the number of layers in your drawing.

Check your linetypes for any that might have the letters DGN in their name.

Thank you Mr. Commandobill and Mr. ReMark for your suggestions.

Your suggestions are very useful to me. Before I read this email, I just tried "DGNPUGRE" command. It worked well.

Now my DWG file size is reduced from 10Mb to 1.5 Mb.

Eventhough I'll try your advise.

Regards,

Balaji

(Sorry for my poor English)

You should run the command line version of the Purge command that is preceded by a dash like this: -purge. Purge Regapps first then repeat and do a purge > all.

• 11 months later...