How do I turn off Auto Dim

JohnnyDean

After 10 years experience with AutoCAD, now utilizing AutoCAD 2010. I do mostly conceptual drawings. Every once in a while I accidentally get into trouble. In this case apparently I hit something that caused Automatic dimensioning. I can't get rid of it. The AutoCAD help options list only the attributes but none that I have found tell me how to turn it off.

Edited by JohnnyDean
to add TAGs

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnnyDean

• Dadgad

• Cad64

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. In the Dimensioning menu, there are horiz, vert, radius, diameter, angle, etc. One is marked with "PowerDim". The command to get power dimensioning is "AMPOWERDIM". I must have inadvertently hit this option (having never utilized it before). I can find no way to turn off power dimensioning.

Ok, I just looked it up because I have never heard of "PowerDim" or "AMPOWERDIM".

You are using Autocad Mechanical.

You should change your profile information to reflect the software version you are using, and also make it clear when you post, that you are using Autocad Mechanical, not just plain Autocad.

I have moved your question to the "Mechanical and MDT" section: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?60-Mechanical-amp-MDT

Also, take a look here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-mechanical/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoCAD-Mechanical/files/GUID-F7CE70AE-6ED2-4CB5-9BF3-C5B2FA0028E7-htm.html

The "PowerDim" is not only in AutoCAD Mechanical but also in plain AutoCAD, Mechanical Classic (which I utilize most) and Structure as well. When I first created the problem, I changed workspaces attempting to find a safe place to quickly complete a drawing, unfortunately the box to choose "do not save workspace changes" was not chosen over "Automatically change workspace changes". Now I have "Power Dimensioning" on all my workspaces and can't turn it off. In your last reply, you gave me an AutoCAD "HELP" article but that only will turn off the Power dimensioning ONLY for that particular session. SO, TOMORROW, I WILL HAVE TO turn if off again and again each time I shut down my computer. So, this may be the reason "Power Dimensioning has migrated to my other workspaces. Never in 10 years has this problem ever occurred before. I JUST WANT TO RID MYSELF OF "POWER DIMENSIONING".

I understand your frustration but I don't use Mechanical so I can't help you any further. If the link I provided did not resolve the issue then you will have to wait for someone who does use Mechanical to show up.

It is inexplicable to me why a command can get you in trouble and there not be an "OFF" or "undue". I see that I am not the only person to have this problem. I have been directed to some other commenters who direct me to "go to the CIU under the Menus and install the original AutoCAD "Vanilla dimensioning tools". After looking in AutoCAD for "Vanilla" (the word is not in AutoCAD's vocabulary). I think then "Vanilla" must be a nickname or "street language" word? I am beginning to wonder if reinstalling my AutoCAD 2010 might be the only answer?

The term "Vanilla" just refers to plain Autocad. Autocad Mechanical, Autocad Architecture, etc. are more specialized programs called verticals that are built on top of plain Autocad. So when someone mentions "vanilla dimensioning tools" they are simply referring to the standard dimensioning tools found in plain Autocad.

I don't think reinstalling the program will do any good. The issue seems to be within the drawing file database, so even if you reinstall, most likely the issue will still be inside the drawing file. Apparently, once you initialize the PowerDims in your drawing, they are there for good.

Hopefully someone else will come along to shed some light on this issue, but it is the weekend, so you may have to wait until Monday.

I have brought up older drawings originally dimensioned in the "Vanilla fashion", but now when I attempt to add a dimension AMPOWERDIM is now in play. So perhaps it is my AutoCAD software instead of the AMPOWERDIM being embedded in my drawings. Very Frustrating to me. Thanks CAD64

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

I have never used Autocad Mechanical, but am nontheless intrigued by this problem.

Could you provide a screenshot of your DIMSTYLE Manager?

I have not taken the time on a beautiful Sunday afternoon to click on the links which Cad was kind enough to supply, nor do I plan to, as I have other things to do.

But I would appeciate a glimpse of your dimstyle manager.

Do you know about the express tool SYSVDLG?

If not, you should, as it would be the most logical place to search for a system variable setting which might be the key to this issue.

Type SYSVDLG at the commandline and hit enter, and a dialog box will open, wherein you just might find the thusfar elusive solution.

Edited by Dadgad

DIMSTYLE MENU.jpgDADGAD: Thanks for your considerations. I get an error message "Unknown Command" when trying for the express tool "SYSVDLG". It's raining on my Sunday afternoon. You have my dimstyle menu. Thanks for trying.

Create yourself a NEW dimstyle.

You will need to pick an existing one as the jump off point, from which you can change settings to suit for your NEW dimstyle.

I suggest you choose AM_ISO, as it is the least defined, without a whole bunch of CHILD dimstyles.

Come to think of it, first things first. :|

Just change your current dimstyle to be AM_ISO, and take that around the block.

If you are comfortable with that dimstyle, and if it is appropriate, after having given it some thought and really checked it out,

you MIGHT WANT to select all the dimensions in your drawing and change the dimstyle to it.

You might also want to save a copy of your drawing, and monkey around with the dimensions on it, for due diligence.

SYSVDLG is an express tool which may not be available in your vertical version, or maybe the express tools aren't loaded on your machine.

Dadgad: YES, YES! I changed my dimstyle setting to AM_ISO and had near instant results. My dimensioning had gone back to the system I have utilized for the last 10 years. Thank you as you were the only person to understand what had happened.

I am not sure how to end this successful thread. I do have some other issues but nothing that slows or stops my work. This first experience was quite helpful:D

Dadgad: YES, YES! I changed my dimstyle setting to AM_ISO and had near instant results. My dimensioning had gone back to the system I have utilized for the last 10 years. Thank you as you were the only person to understand what had happened.

I am not sure how to end this successful thread. I do have some other issues but nothing that slows or stops my work. This first experience was quite helpful:D

Very glad to have been of assistance.

Don't hesitate to come back when you have a REAL problem. Hey, why not, we're on a roll, right? :beer:

Curious, check if there might be a command AMPOWERDIMOFF? :huh:

Edited by Dadgad

DADGAD: Apparently, I have to utilize the dimension style that you gave me on other files that I somehow corrupted. What I cannot do right now is find the path to the menu where I chose the AM_ISO that worked for me. I found it twice earlier last week but it is not intuitive nor does AutoCAD give me any help that I can find.

JOHN

You can use Design Center to search for dimstyles. Once you find that drawing I would import that style into your template. Then set the template file in Design Center for the home button. Each time you need to import you can start DC, pick Home, pick the dimstyles and drag and drop that style in to that drawing. Of course, it is in you template now so any new drawing will already have that.

More to the point, if you don't use the Mechanical features then set a desktop shortcut to start AutoCAD without the Mechanical portion loading. Then you won't have the AM-Power dims loading, etc.

Dadgad: Since I am new to CadTutor, I don't know what I do next. (I have copied your last instructions to a WordPerfect file so I won't have to bother you. However; I do have some questions that I think need to be answered by a CAD user. Your last note brought to mind the fact that I have been utilizing templates from my class about 8 years ago and I really would like to build one of my own. Sometimes when I have had time, I have attempted it but somehow I can't seem to get the limits right (most of my drawings are of grain elevator properties and of Barge loading facilities and I need limits of say 2,000 feet X 2,000 feet or even more. I wish I had a template and title box unique to me. I have been thinking of contacting the local JR college and paying a tutor to help me for a few hours. I have taken one semester course about 10 years ago. I had a tough time with it at first although I have done drafting with a drafting machine for over 40 years. That did give me a little edge over some of the students but the learning curve required lots of new language vocabulary. I do have a large vocabulary and it was helpful but AutoCAD help to me was very poor. I sometimes took 2 hours to do something that eventually took 5 minutes. The course was twice a week but with 80 pages per session causing the instructor to hit only the high points. I have picked up the balance by practice and self teaching since.

I am not sure what to do now as I would like to become more proficient. Can I pay for this service? or can I find a tutor from this service? I found CadTutor by searching two weeks ago when I had the Automatic dimensioning problem. I thought that I had terminated my session and was surprised and delighted that you were still here. I need your advice as I don't know what CadTutor offers such as in their "Advanced". My first attempt has certainly been useful and helpful.

JOHN

The forum members are all volunteering members of the global cad community There is always somebody here, though perhaps half a world away, as I am, in Indonesia. Threads aren't sessions, and occasionally will come back into play, as they are all available and archived. The newer threads rise to the top of the list is all.

rkent was the one who spoke of a personal template, and he is absolutely right, definitely a good idea.

You can save a drawing, ANY DRAWING, as an .dwt (template) file.

Typically one might include dimstyles, text styles, multileader styles, table styles, visual styles, just about anything you routinely favor in your work, including your drawing sheet.

When setting up a template it is important to make sure that you start on an appropriate base template.

Meaning that if you want to use your template for working in Imperial units (feet & inches), then make sure to use an Imperial based template.

This ensures that the linetypes and hatch files used will be suited to Imperial use.

Default Autocad out of the box templates tend to be Imperial based, unless the name is followed by ISO, or it is stated in the name that it is metric.

Very few people still use EXTENTS, in my experience.

I just had a good idea.

Please start a new drawing, and post it here, so I can look at some of the content, figure out where you are coming from so to speak.

Or, better yet, if you could post a drawing which you think is a good representation of your typical work.

If there is proprietary information, that can be removed, as what I really want to see are other settings and such things.

I would be happy to help you out a bit setting up a template, it would be my pleasure.