How do I turn off Auto Dim

JohnnyDean

1. What does the acronym ISO stand for. 2. I am having trouble determining how to send a drawing to this thread. Sending to an email address is not a problem. Do I attach it to the email that sends me here or somehow imbed it in these replies? I do have a website about 20 years old but have never communicated with it. I could send the file to the URL provider and they may upload it for me?). I have used a service called "YOUSENDIT" where I upload the file and it notifies my email recipient that the file is available to download. The file I would like to send is for the plan of a new river terminal at West Memphis, AR. The port was built 2010/2011 and I followed through as "project manager". There is no proprietary information on it. I have another concept drawing on an alteration to a telescoping barge loading spout being manufactured by one of my clients and this one is the problematic one I have been working with the "power dimensioning". By the way, I have gone back to my "Create New Dimension Style" and found this time, no AM_ISO choice, only AM_ANSI choices??? Meanwhile the automatic dimensioning has stopped again anyway an I am working DIMs as I always have.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnnyDean

• Dadgad

• Cad64

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. ISO = International Organization for Standardization

2. You can upload your drawing directly to the forum by clicking the "Go Advanced" button underneath the "Quick Reply" section below. Once you're on the Avanced page, scroll down to the Attachments section and click the "Manage Attachments" button.

Or, if your file is too large to upload here, you can use a file sharing site like Dropbox, YouSendIt, etc. Just upload your drawing to the site and then copy and paste a link to the file in your next post.

I didn't forget about this thread Johnn, actually downloaded your first drawing the day you posted it, and started looking it over, then work showed up. I have gotten quite busy in the last few days, after 4 months of just about nothing on my desktop, glad to have something to do for a change,

and so have not been on the forum all day long, as has been the norm of late.

I will follow through, as time permits.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend.! :beer:

I am okay for now. Thank you very much for the help given to me so far. I am glad that you have gotten busy. I assume that our "thread" will continue for some time without our attention. Something weird here, was still having trouble with the autodimensioning that keeps coming back in my files with a vengeance. I have not yet ever found the menu with the AM_ISO that I first found with your help but I have found another method of getting back my manual dimensioning. If I find the automatic dimensioning again returning, with the "Mechanical Classic", I can right click on the menu space which gives me a menu including the AutoCAD. If I ask for a dimension menu there, I am back on the manual dimensioning again.

Good luck with your new work prospect. Thanks for past help.

The menu which you describe was actually a list of the available dimension styles which were stored in that particular .dwg file.

It is the Dimstyle Manager, and in order to open it, enter DIMSTYLE at the commandline > (Enter).

Once the Dimsyle Manager opens, you will see listed in the scrollable menu, any and all Dimstyles which are available in that particular drawing.

You can select any dimstyle in the list, and use SET CURRENT to make it your current dimstyle for NEW dimensions which you create.

Doing that however, will not change the existing dimensions in the drawing, without your making it happen.

You could do that with the UPDATE Dimensions icon, which I have circled in red on the Dimension toolbar screenshot, green indicates your CURRENT dimstyle, and Blue is another way to access the Dimstyle Manager.

You can add any dimstyle to an existing drawing in a number of ways.

rkent described how to do it using the Design Center in his post. :)

Another easy way to do it, but not nearly as efficient, is to copy one such dimension from another drawing, and paste it into the drawing upon which you are working.

You should probably take a look at the following link to help you get comfortable with the Dimstyle Manager.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-60840416-5E03-4CCC-ACEE-1E92D078BDB5-htm.html

The following link is to a very good free Autocad instructional website, should you feel there are any areas you might want to brush up on.

http://www.mycadsite.com/tutorials/index.htm

I used this site about 6 years ago when I started using Autocad, and I found it to be very well and logically laid out, and now there are lots of videos on it as well, which were not there when I used it.

On the Tutorials tab on this forum there are lots more good tutorials and videos, although the one on Dimensioning, while quite comprehensive, is rather dated, so I didn't suggest it for you.

Could you please post a screenshot of your Autocad workspace? I am guessing that you might be using classic style Toolbars, as do I.

http://www.cadsoft-consult.com/blogs/architecture/2009/12/displaying-the-classic-toolbars-in-2010-products/

https://books.google.co.id/books?id=xJGqnP2KK5sC&pg=PA216&lpg=PA210&ots=yAJ2ym-WIP&focus=viewport&dq=autocad+2010+dimension+toolbar

Dimension Toolbar layout.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Yes, I do utilize the dimension from the classic style AutoCAD drawing menus; however; I prefer the mechanical classic menu "dimension" as it has the leader icon, otherwise I can utilize either one. You have given me more choices and some direction when looking for answers to my DIM problems. What is strange is that I have utilized AutoCAD 10 for 5 years and never had to choose a dimension (accepting what DIM the opening program gave me) menu until I somehow accidentally clicked autodimension and there is no going back apparently except to reinstall. I will stay where I am now as I have so much better control over such features. As far as the screenshot of the Dim menu that I utilize, I am not comfortable taking screenshots and don't know how you took one of just your dimension menu. Easier for me to just list the DIM icons left to right. There are more than you show and I can likely delete some of them that I will never utilize: linear, aligned, arc length, ordinate, radius, jogged, diameter, angular, quick dimension, baseline, continue, dimension space, dimension break, tolerance, center mark, inspection, jogged linear, dimension edit, dimension text edit, dimension update, dimension style control (now indicating "Copy of INC"), dimension style. I SHOW 22 YOU SHOW 14.

Thanks for the additional AutoCAD "help" leads. I will explore them. I am in the middle of renovating a bathroom in this house with a tiled shower and in between consultant jobs. Thanks for your help. I do need some more questions answered such as "Should I invest in AutoCAD Lite? To date I have had the complete AutoCAD drawing system, stemming from my construction company days. It became too expensive for updates after I semi-retired, leaving me static at 2010. I note that the upgrades were more than a thousand dollars per year, more if you skipped a year. I recently saw that I could purchase AutoCAD lite for about $1,200.00 but saw that I might be able to rent it for about $350 or $400 per year. The portion that I utilize hasn't evolved much since the 13 and 14 versions way back in the mid 90's. From what I have noticed to date, it has all the functions that I use?

JOHN

Lots of info there, good.

However you posted the screenshot in post #12, you would use the same SNIPPING TOOL to create a screenshot of your whole workspace while it is open.

It sounds to me like 2010 is probably sufficient for your needs, and better than switching to LT ( which has no 3D capabilities, nor lisp), at an added expense.

There are lots of FREE alternatives to LT these days, and tons of posts on the forum regarding Autocad Clones.

Be that as it may, I have never used LT, and would definitely be uncomfortable losing the 3D functionality of the full Autocad package moving to LT.

If it ain't broke, don"t fix it, if 2010 does what you need it to, cool. :)

Yes, you are correct, the Dimension Toolbar of which I took a screenshot, after dragging it down into the middle of my paperspace, is not the Autocad default one,

but a customized one, which I favor because it takes up a lot less peripheral real estate in my workspace.

I just used the Microsoft free SNIPPING TOOL to create a SCREENSHOT of my usual workspace, one of a few I have created and saved for different types of work, 3D Modeling, Detailing, Annotating, Checking, etc.

The toolbars which I have dragged down into the layout, show comparisons between the original toolbars, and the leaner versions which I have created to better serve my work, and conserve screen real estate.

I noticed that on the long DRAW toolbar there are four which were not stock O.O.T.B., but even without those, the edited one is quite a bit smaller, and I might actually use ANY of the commands on them.

Come to think of it my LAYERS toolbar is a bit lighter too. I hate constantly displaying icons on tollbars which I suspect I will NEVER use.

I saved another screenshot showing how to create customized versions of any toolbars you want, in your CUI. By right clicking on the YELLOW highlighted icon for the Modify toolbar, you can choose to DUPLICATE it. Obviously you would want to give it another name, then you can open it, as shown in the screenshot, so you can see all of the icons available on the toolbar. Working on the one which you want to customize, you can then DELETE any icons you might not need, or add other commands, rearrange them to suit your personal preferences.

The MIGHTY EAGLE icon (from Angry Birds) which you see on both of the DRAW toolbars is the image I chose for my OVERKILL button. A great command. The Broom is for a commandline -PURGE , Audit & Save macro.

Once you have created a new toolbar, it will become available in the dropdown toolbar list.

workspace screenshot shows customized toolbars.jpg

Creating custom toolbars from duplicates.jpg