+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Welcome to CADTutor.

I have never used Autocad Mechanical, but am nontheless intrigued by this problem.
    Could you provide a screenshot of your DIMSTYLE Manager?

I have not taken the time on a beautiful Sunday afternoon to click on the links which Cad was kind enough to supply, nor do I plan to, as I have other things to do.
    But I would appeciate a glimpse of your dimstyle manager.

Do you know about the express tool SYSVDLG?
    If not, you should, as it would be the most logical place to search for a system variable setting which might be the key to this issue.
    Type SYSVDLG at the commandline and hit enter, and a dialog box will open, wherein you just might find the thusfar elusive solution.
    Last edited by Dadgad; 16th May 2015 at 01:49 pm.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

DIMSTYLE MENU.jpgDADGAD: Thanks for your considerations. I get an error message "Unknown Command" when trying for the express tool "SYSVDLG". It's raining on my Sunday afternoon. You have my dimstyle menu. Thanks for trying.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Create yourself a NEW dimstyle.
    You will need to pick an existing one as the jump off point, from which you can change settings to suit for your NEW dimstyle.
    I suggest you choose AM_ISO, as it is the least defined, without a whole bunch of CHILD dimstyles.
    Come to think of it, first things first.
    Just change your current dimstyle to be AM_ISO, and take that around the block.
    If you are comfortable with that dimstyle, and if it is appropriate, after having given it some thought and really checked it out,
    you MIGHT WANT to select all the dimensions in your drawing and change the dimstyle to it.

You might also want to save a copy of your drawing, and monkey around with the dimensions on it, for due diligence.

SYSVDLG is an express tool which may not be available in your vertical version, or maybe the express tools aren't loaded on your machine.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Dadgad: YES, YES! I changed my dimstyle setting to AM_ISO and had near instant results. My dimensioning had gone back to the system I have utilized for the last 10 years. Thank you as you were the only person to understand what had happened.
    I am not sure how to end this successful thread. I do have some other issues but nothing that slows or stops my work. This first experience was quite helpful

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDean View Post
    Dadgad: YES, YES! I changed my dimstyle setting to AM_ISO and had near instant results. My dimensioning had gone back to the system I have utilized for the last 10 years. Thank you as you were the only person to understand what had happened.
    I am not sure how to end this successful thread. I do have some other issues but nothing that slows or stops my work. This first experience was quite helpful
    Very glad to have been of assistance.
    Don't hesitate to come back when you have a REAL problem. Hey, why not, we're on a roll, right?

Curious, check if there might be a command AMPOWERDIMOFF?
    Last edited by Dadgad; 16th May 2015 at 11:07 pm.

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

DADGAD: Apparently, I have to utilize the dimension style that you gave me on other files that I somehow corrupted. What I cannot do right now is find the path to the menu where I chose the AM_ISO that worked for me. I found it twice earlier last week but it is not intuitive nor does AutoCAD give me any help that I can find.
    JOHN

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

That menu is in your DIMSTYLE MANAGER.

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell OptiPlex 7020
    CPU:
    i7 4790 3.6GHz
    RAM:
    16GB, 1600MHz, DDR3 non-ECC 2x8GB
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon 2GB
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2017

You can use Design Center to search for dimstyles. Once you find that drawing I would import that style into your template. Then set the template file in Design Center for the home button. Each time you need to import you can start DC, pick Home, pick the dimstyles and drag and drop that style in to that drawing. Of course, it is in you template now so any new drawing will already have that.

More to the point, if you don't use the Mechanical features then set a desktop shortcut to start AutoCAD without the Mechanical portion loading. Then you won't have the AM-Power dims loading, etc.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Dadgad: Since I am new to CadTutor, I don't know what I do next. (I have copied your last instructions to a WordPerfect file so I won't have to bother you. However; I do have some questions that I think need to be answered by a CAD user. Your last note brought to mind the fact that I have been utilizing templates from my class about 8 years ago and I really would like to build one of my own. Sometimes when I have had time, I have attempted it but somehow I can't seem to get the limits right (most of my drawings are of grain elevator properties and of Barge loading facilities and I need limits of say 2,000 feet X 2,000 feet or even more. I wish I had a template and title box unique to me. I have been thinking of contacting the local JR college and paying a tutor to help me for a few hours. I have taken one semester course about 10 years ago. I had a tough time with it at first although I have done drafting with a drafting machine for over 40 years. That did give me a little edge over some of the students but the learning curve required lots of new language vocabulary. I do have a large vocabulary and it was helpful but AutoCAD help to me was very poor. I sometimes took 2 hours to do something that eventually took 5 minutes. The course was twice a week but with 80 pages per session causing the instructor to hit only the high points. I have picked up the balance by practice and self teaching since.
    I am not sure what to do now as I would like to become more proficient. Can I pay for this service? or can I find a tutor from this service? I found CadTutor by searching two weeks ago when I had the Automatic dimensioning problem. I thought that I had terminated my session and was surprised and delighted that you were still here. I need your advice as I don't know what CadTutor offers such as in their "Advanced". My first attempt has certainly been useful and helpful.
    JOHN

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

The forum members are all volunteering members of the global cad community There is always somebody here, though perhaps half a world away, as I am, in Indonesia. Threads aren't sessions, and occasionally will come back into play, as they are all available and archived. The newer threads rise to the top of the list is all.

rkent was the one who spoke of a personal template, and he is absolutely right, definitely a good idea.
    You can save a drawing, ANY DRAWING, as an .dwt (template) file.
    Typically one might include dimstyles, text styles, multileader styles, table styles, visual styles, just about anything you routinely favor in your work, including your drawing sheet.
    When setting up a template it is important to make sure that you start on an appropriate base template.
    Meaning that if you want to use your template for working in Imperial units (feet & inches), then make sure to use an Imperial based template.
    This ensures that the linetypes and hatch files used will be suited to Imperial use.
    Default Autocad out of the box templates tend to be Imperial based, unless the name is followed by ISO, or it is stated in the name that it is metric.

Very few people still use EXTENTS, in my experience.

I just had a good idea.
    Please start a new drawing, and post it here, so I can look at some of the content, figure out where you are coming from so to speak.
    Or, better yet, if you could post a drawing which you think is a good representation of your typical work.
    If there is proprietary information, that can be removed, as what I really want to see are other settings and such things.
    I would be happy to help you out a bit setting up a template, it would be my pleasure.