Autocad architcture 2015 help needed

craigten

Hello

Im am trying to change the roof type to a gable end on a small building im designing, by dragging the apex as i have read. For some reason it does not work with my drawing. I notice that the roof on my drawing is not fully connected and I can not get a full roof showing on my drawing, can any one help please.

Drawing attached

Regard

Craig

roof drawing.JPG

Roofs do sometime behave strangely - I've no idea why! Will it let you drag the point in or out, changing the steepness of the hip end?

Given that it's a fairly simply roof I'd probably redraw the roof, using the GABLE Yes/No commandline switch (truth be told I tend to draw that way to start with, rather than bothering to drag the point out afterwards!)

dJE

Hi Danellis

It will allow me to drag inwards but not to edge creating gable end. If I try to start with gable command it tries to draw gable on all sides.. ? which makes it more complicated, i would prefer to use gable command but it doest seem that simple unless i have changed a setting somewhere..

Thanks

Craig

The gable commandline switch is something you use within the ROOFADD command to tell ACA that the next stretch of roof either is, or isn't, going to be a gable so working through in sequence:

start your ROOFADD in the usual way and set your pitch, overhangs, etc.

Pick your first corner

Type GABLE (just G will do)

Type YES (just Y will do) - this tells ACA that the next stretch of roof will be a gable

click on the other end of your gable

Type G

Type No (just N will do) - this tells ACA that the next stretch of roof will be eaves

click on the next corner

Type G

Type Y - you're starting another gable

click on the next corner

Type G

Type N - to start another stretch of eaves

click on the next corner (based on your OP this will be the first point again)

HTH

dJE

Hi Danellis

Thank you for your explaination but i tried 4x with the same result.. no roof, although prior to selecting enter at end it did show a roof but without centre apex (attached jpeg prior to and after finishing roof commands) so something must be setup wrong i guess.. thank you for your time, dont want to waste your time but if you have any other suggestions ill be happy to try.

Regards

Craig

roof drawing1.jpg

roof drawing2.JPG

roof drawing3.JPG

I removed my internal walls and followed your instructions and success.. :)

Thank you for your help Danellis

Regards

Craig

Don't understand why removing the internal walls would have fixed it, but I'm glad that worked.

I often find that roofs works better if you create a polyline of the footprint, move that off out the way and trace over that to create the roof - this technique also worked for me on your model.

(Talking of which, you may want to double check your model: it's not square and a lot of the numbers were "odd" - the one eaves I checked was overhanging by 203.234242mm, for example).

dJE

I just tried this on my Acad-Arch 2015 and there is a setting to toggle gable or not when you create the roof. Might be worth a shot to try that on a test design. Glad you found a work around.

Slightly irregular geometry can cause the roof object to fail. If you can post a drawing with the roof that does not work properly, we may be able to figure out how to fix this issue.

Thank you for your help,

Bill Glennie

AutoCAD Architecture Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Got it. If you select each of the four outer walls, you'll see in the Properties Palette (Location) that they are slightly off of even angles - about 0.006 to 0.04 degrees. We will investigate this, but if you are interested, here is how to fix the geometry.

1. Set the wall angles to be exact degrees.

2. Select the four walls and pick the Intelligent Cleanup tool from the ribbon. Press [Enter] to run that command.

Then redraw the roof, and it will behave normally. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Bill