engrave on round

johhny comelately

the engraved circular slot around the hole has to have perpendicular sides and be square to the plane. using the engrave tool it gives the choice of "engrave from face" which produces the bottom of the groove to be parallel with the outside face. it is needed to be a flat and square bottom , ie, parallel with the plane. can anyone help please

example circular.jpg

this groove is for a seal to move in axially with the hole.

is there more clarification needed?

• 1 month later...

If the seal is moving axially to hole wouldn't it be possible to do this as an extrude cut? I've never used the emboss/engrave tool but it looks like it's for wrapping a sketch to a non-planar surface and then adding or subtracting a set distance from that surface. If you want a "square" bottom I'd try extrude cut. Unless I'm missing something, there's no file to look at...

conman,

an extrude cut produces the slot bottom parallel with the sketch or plane, whereas this needs to be parallel with the solid's curved surface, which is what engrave does.

and yes the seal does move axially to the hole.

if you use a extrude cut profile perpendicular to the desired circle via a sweep, the path has to be generated by project geometry 3d ...........maybe that would work??

Well I'm not really following what you're looking for then. In your first post where you say the bottom of the groove needs to be "parallel to the plane", what is "the plane"? Do you mean the curved surface of the overall piece (which is not a plane). See my screenshot below. I guess I'm thinking you might be looking for one of two things, either the option on the left where you want the bottom to be a straight line instead of the outside curve offset down the groove (likely), or you want the option on the right where you want the groove normal to the surface (unlikely and difficult to make in real world I think). Option 1 would have the bottom straight but not perpendicular to the two sides whereas Option 2 would have the bottom perpendicular to the two sides but the whole thing skewed inward. Perhaps the easiest would be to draw a sketch (on same plane as my Option 2 below) but of the desired groove shape. Then just revolve that around the hole axis. If you do get this figured out post a screenshot or ipt file so we can see what you were looking for.

Engrave.jpg

in your image the notation "straight vs curved" the slot needs to have a square (to the slot sides) bottom that is parallel to the origin plane whether it be X or Y.

the slot is correct, NOT to be like the notation "Normal to surface"

thank you for helping

i have been trying to attach an image with the plane shown, but i cannot get the browse button to open the folder, sorry.

Create a 3D sketch by projecting the path of the slot onto the face of the cylinder.

Create a 2D sketch of the slot profile on the top surface/plane of the cylinder.

Using Sweep cut the slot profile along the slot path.

The depth of the slot will be constant from the face of the cylinder, and the bottom of the slot will parallel to whatever you made it parallel too in the slot profile sketch.

Capture.jpg

thank you ecshclark,

i did try that originally, and it did not work

this image i posted was supposed to be represenative of the actual model, which is a proprietary job. the path is up hill and down dale.

i will endeavour to recreate the slot as it actually is and maybe then we can have another look at it,

i thank you for your patience

The images looked to be the opposite of the images before, i.e. the mold cavity. So I'm not sure what you are trying to do anymore. Orthographic views of the feature might help, or the model you've attempted. You don't say what is not working with the sweep. The feature geometry is not correct? Or you can't get the sweep to work? Attached is the model my previous image was taken from.

Part1.ipt

the area of concern is the bottom of the slot which has the carbon fibre finish,

when sweeping a squared off profile (from a rectangular sketch like you showed) as the sweep goes along the initial path whether it starts on the curve or the straight part of the path , when it changes to the other the square bottom does not maintain because it keeps its original "squareness to the starting orientation. (it doesn't pivot to suit the new orientation from straight to curved)

the carbon fibre surface has to be parallel with the (imagined plane) therefore square with both sides.

again thank you for your assistance

Sorry, I never looked at what it was doing in the middle, my bad. It looks like a loft would be the way to do this. You would sketch multiple cross sections along the path/rails and that would control the orientation of the slot.

Edited by ecshclark

what about going around the curves?

its important for two reasons: one to be able to machine it and secondly to give a workable surface for the dynamics of the seal to work with.

Thanks again.

In this attached file "groove_loft" solid is not visible and in the browser the references to it are faint (not available)

is there something i am not doing correctly.

In the browser drag "End of Part" to the bottom of the feature tree. Dragging the "End of Part" to the top reduces the size of the file so it can be uploaded to this forum.