BS1192 / BIM - drawing file names

aji2015

Hello everyone,

First post on here although I've referred to this website a few times in the past (as it is a well known website).

Apologies if this question has been asked already but I'm limited for free time at the moment.....

We are currently writing a new CAD standards manual for our offices to implement BIM Level 2 standards, which have their base, in terms of CAD, on the BS:1192 standard....

my question is, how are electronic file names dealt with when it comes to revisions?

Can anyone post up a few BS1192/BIM drawing file names as examples please?

ie. showing how a file name changes for example between "first issue" (not revised) to a revision "A" drawing and then a revision "B" drawing?

Cheers.

Not many replies so far...

ok... to get things rolling, below is an example BS1192 / BIM drawing file name..

Project-Originator-Volume-Location-Type-Role-Number.dwg

HE539865-FBA-HLG-M1_J20-M3-LE-0001.dwg

Project = A given overall project code in which a group of drawing belong.

Originator = Company that produced the drawings (FBA = Fred Bloggs Architects)

Volume = engineering discipline (Structures, Roads, Lighting, Environment etc)

Location = coded geographical location of the project (M1_J20 = M1 Junction 20)

Type = type of drawing (SK = sketch / DR = drawing / M2 = 2D model / M3 = 3D model)

Role = Drawing to be read by ... (LE = lighting engineer / TR = traffic engineer etc.)

Number = individual sequence number (0001, 0002, 0003, etc.)

So given the example number :

HE539865-FBA-HLG-M1_J20-M3-LE-0001.dwg

How does BS1192 / BIM standards cover revisions - given then BS1192 doesn't display any other 'fields' on the file name structure?

(Or does it?)

Maybe it has been determined that there is not a need for designating revisions.

That standards that I work with do not require making new files for revisions. I couldn't imagine having to manage the number of files a system like that could produce.

Thanks for the reply Rob,

You may be right actually, if I can't find it in the existing standards it does suggest that each revision of a drawing does not require a separate electronic file.

Just one question that arises from my point of view though; how does the system track revisions of a drawing if one needs to go back to revision A if the current drawing is revision D (for example)?

If there is only one drawing the 'undo' button will not take you back to revision A ;)

In my 14 years doing MEP, we have never done a reset back to Revision A. It just doesn't happen. Sometimes, we undo the changes that were done in Revision A, but the changes in Revisions B and C would still be valid. Reset won't work so, the rescinding of Revision A becomes Revison E.

Apologies for asking endless question.....

Does your system (and I may also be talking about the BS1192 standard), mean that the entire evolution of the drawing is done within one electronic file?

(eg. 001.dwg from work-in-progress all the way through to construction and then as-built?)

When it comes to names, is there only ever the one copy of a drawing of particular number & file name which is always in the latest revision state?

This would mean controlling and documenting revisions using layers and revision notes (rev clouds etc). ?

And then I guess taking 'snap shots' of the drawing as PDF/DWF before a new revision is created?

No problem, it's a pleasure discussing it.

Yes, to all the questions. Except for as-builts. That is a separate set of documents done under separate cover and usually not done by us.

You should look into Autodesk Vault. It will keep all revisions. Its a great program.

Yes, that is a data/document management solution for the process we are talking about.

Excellent.

Thanks for the replies.

I come from a slightly different method of recording drawing evolution, in that we will save a 001.dwg which will then be saved as a new file as 001_A.dwg and then 001_B.dwg as the revisions progress.

It has kept the auditors happy over the years as we are able to show them a history of the drawing along with who was involved in the relevant revisions.

This has meant that each part of the drawing can be accountable back to whoever was a signatory to it.

Because not all our drawings are single discipline.

Over time and through the revisions different engineers will have their input, from structural, electrical and drainage engineers etc.

The final/most current revision doesn't necessarily show which engineer did what (if that makes sense). But being able to bring up previous versions of the CAD drawing will show their input.

But I guess this can quite rightly also be done via layers (which are revision dedicated).

We are 'mostly' BS1192 compliant, but some specific areas we are now having to fully adopt due to the national BIM Level 2 requirements.

Thanks again for your replies.