Exporting to PDF for beginner?!

madmoojuice

I've looked through the last few pages of posts and not seeing anything that addresses my problem. If there has been and I've overlooked it, please feel free to direct me to the thread :)

I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2015 regularly and feel pretty confident in my abilities. I'm not pro, but considering last year, at this time, I had no idea how to extrude a basic box, I think I've come a LONG way. That being said, I feel I'm in the same boat with AutoCad now. What others take to be "really?? its simple", I'm over here pulling my hair out trying to figure things out. :cry:

On occasion my salesman will send me a DWG file and ask me convert it to PDF or make a 3D model. But 90% of the time, I fight trying to figure out how to get the PDF to display properly or legibly. Take this following file for example:

L-1000-ss 4station 022309.dwg

When I try to export to PDF, the drawing fills less than half the page and is not legible. How do I either enlarge this to fill the page, or even more preferable, select portions to print (at full page!!)?

I patiently away and look forward to any help anyone can extend, and if there is a good site with beginner tutorials for this or ANY basic use information, I'm ready to learn! :)

Thanks!

Joseph

What size page are you trying to fill?

I tried two plot-to-PDF's and had no problem with either. One was set for printing to a 24x36 format while the other (a portion of the full drawing) was set to print on a 8.5x11 (portrait orientation).

Welcome to CADTutor.

I'm a big fan of using AutoCAD's 'DWG to PDF' print driver in a named Page Setup applied to Layout, and then simply enable the Autopublish mechanism, so my exhibit/sheet drawings are printed to PDF when I SAVE* my work. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Right click Layout tab, select 'Page Setup Manager...', create a named Page Setup (i.e., DwgToPdf_24x36, etc.) and configure to use 'DWG to PDF' print driver, hit OK and apply to Layout.

In OPTIONS, Plot and Publish tab, bottom left, check 'Automatic Publish' and then hit 'Automatic Publish Settings...' button. From there, consider 'Publish on' = Save, 'Location' = Drawing folder, 'Include' = Layouts, 'File format' = PDF, 'Type' = Single-sheet file, 'Layer information' = Don't include, etc.

With that configuration on my workstation, a PDF is produced within +/- 1 second at drawing SAVE.

Cheers

I do not use the export-to-pdf option. I plot to a PDF.

+1 to this. I always plot to pdf as well. Almost issue free.