Exporting Line labels

lambeau-leap

I have a series of line labels (several dozen) and I typically type them up on a word document. But is there a way to export these line labels (just their text) to a word or excel doc?

thanks

LL

Well, the labels are presumably getting it's info from an object? A Featureline? What does the label contain? What I am getting at is that it might be easier to get that info out of the drawing, perhaps by way of a table?

Might Data Extraction be up to the task?

If I remember correctly, Data Extraction can handle AutoCAD-objects, so if the object is a Line or a Polyline or the likes, then Data Extraction will probably work like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've been out of town lately. So for example.....I will label lines with a bearing and distance and when I type my legal description I have to retype all of those line labels (technically "general segment label"). I am wondering if I can extract just those labels so I don't have to retype them in my legal descriptions.

The object that I have selected, I would like to export all of those just so I have don't have to retype.

As one who does not use Civil 3D, but often uses Data Extraction, this looks like a very good opportunity to use Data Extraction.

There may well be a vertical product specific function to deal with this, about which I wouldn't know, but if so, likely someone will chime in and let you know.

You would just need to create a Data Extraction Table which only reports Parcel Segment Labels.

Take your time setting up the first one, look into all of the optional settings, so that you better understand what the function is capable of, check the right click menu, as there are many choices there, which are not apparent elsewhere.

There are lots of options when setting up a Data Extraction table, but once you have set it up, you can SAVE it as a new Table Style, and give it an appropriate name.

I would then suggest that you add it to your default .dwt file, so that it is always available to you, and it will save you lots of time and spare you lots of tedium down the road. :|

I tried Data Extraction with Labels (in my case Featureline Label, but I assume it will be the same for Parcel labels) and I can't find a tick box for the contents of the label. Which in itself is not surprising, the contents is not really a text, it's kinda like a macro. Like if you look at a cell with a formula in Excel - what you see is not what's really there (It's magic! :shock:)

What I would do, if I need to extract all the text from my labels is first take a copy of the file (because you will be destroying the labels with this method) - then EXPLODE the labels down to MTexts (took 2 or 3 EXPLODE) and then use Data Extraction per Dadgads instructions - then I can select to get the contents out into an CSV or XLS-file.

I tried Data Extraction with Labels (in my case Featureline Label, but I assume it will be the same for Parcel labels) and I can't find a tick box for the contents of the label. Which in itself is not surprising, the contents is not really a text, it's kinda like a macro. Like if you look at a cell with a formula in Excel - what you see is not what's really there (It's magic! :shock:)

What I would do, if I need to extract all the text from my labels is first take a copy of the file (because you will be destroying the labels with this method) - then EXPLODE the labels down to MTexts (took 2 or 3 EXPLODE) and then use Data Extraction per Dadgads instructions - then I can select to get the contents out into an CSV or XLS-file.

Tiger, thanks for trying that. :beer:

I am surprised to hear that you couldn't access the output from those without exploding them, did you investigate all of the different choices available,

like in Miscellaneous, Geometry (Category Filters) and I forget the few other categories from which you can get output, as well as the right click shortcut menus?

Good work around, if it won't do it though! :)

Data Extraction Additional Settings.jpg

DX right click customizable options.JPG

DX category filters.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

I just exported everything from a label, and nothing in the Export matched what I was seeing in the label.

I am not surprised that it won't work though, there are lots of examples where Civil-commands and AutoCAD-commands don't really jive - which is annoying as all that, and doesn't make sense but is what it is.

I must be missing something when trying to do DATAEXTRACTION because my tables are always empty, no matter if I do it via mtext or Parcel Segment Labels. What am I doing wrong/?

Be sure to read the commandline prompts, and select entity types which you want displayed.

As I said earlier, there are a ton of options, spread out over what, 7 or 8 dialogues?

You will need to go all the way through the dialogues, and read everything.

There is a export CIV3d objects option that converts back to Autocad objects just trying to find again use this at times to export surface meahes it may support labels.

Bigal, in 2015 (it has moved around) you can find Export Civil 3D Drawing on the A-button (at the top left corner), that command exports your whole drawing to autocad-objects. It'll probably transform the labels to texts like you say.