3D Practice Modeling

indigo

Hi,

I'm currently studying how to create 3D Models of plant equipment from 2D detailed drawings and I have a hard time on how to convert the front view and side view of a pressure to 3D can anyone guide me on how to start modeling this drawing..

Thanks.

pressure transmitter.dwg

I'd suggest not worrying about the fine detail but instead concentrate on the general shape. Cylindrical objects are usually created by extruding a circle. A cylindrical object with a dome top could be created by revolving one half of the object's profile. Personally I think it would be a mistake to try and replicate all the detail shown in the two views. Once inserted into a plant model with all the other equipment that detail would 1) not be noticed and 2) just add to the overall complexity and file size of the drawing.

Looks like your missing one view too.

Did you check the manufacturer's website for a 3D model? Sometimes it just isn't worth investing the time/effort to create a model from scratch.

Re: 3D plant equipment. If you click on the link below you'll be taken to a thread I started back in 2007 where I posted an image of a 3D temperature element / indicator I created using AutoCAD.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?11113-My-First-Render...hold-your-laughter...&highlight=temperature

Edited by ReMark

Hi,

Thanks for the advice really a big help..tried checking the manufacturers website for 3d model but they use an .stp file format for their 3d models..I'm really new to 3D Modelling and I just like to ask if you would recommend other softwares like Autocad Inventor and Solidworks for a beginner like me...Autocad becomes slow when there is a lot of 3d models.

Thanks.

AutoCAD slow? First thing I'd want to know is what are your system specs? How much physical RAM is installed and what are you running for a graphics card?

I can't make a program recommendation based on the limited information you have provided.

Are you a student?

tried checking the manufacturers website for 3d model but they use an .stp file format for their 3d models..

You can Import .stp files into Autocad.

Hi,@ReMark

I'm using i7-4700MQ, 2.4 GHZ,,16 GB RAM,,INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4600..I'm a new graduate and I have no experience in 3d Modeling and Mechanical Design...My previous experience is electrical design..We would like to make 3d models of industrial plant and use a gaming software to make it move like a real working plant...Do you recommend autocad inventor or solidworks to a beginner like me or maybe I should develop my skill in mechanical design and 3d modelling using autocad before shifting to other softwares

Thanks..

It might help some if you got a real graphics card from ATI or nVidia.

How many 3D models are in your drawing?

How big is the file size?

Hi,@ReMark

I'm using i7-4700MQ, 2.4 GHZ,,16 GB RAM,,INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4600..I'm a new graduate and I have no experience in 3d Modeling and Mechanical Design...My previous experience is electrical design..We would like to make 3d models of industrial plant and use a gaming software to make it move like a real working plant...Do you recommend autocad inventor or solidworks to a beginner like me or maybe I should develop my skill in mechanical design and 3d modelling using autocad before shifting to other softwares

INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4600? Are you working on a Notebook? Or a Laptop? If AutoCAD is running slow, I don't imagine Inventor or Solidworks will do much better. I'd say you need a hardware upgrade.

INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4600? Are you working on a Notebook? Or a Laptop? If AutoCAD is running slow, I don't imagine Inventor or Solidworks will do much better. I'd say you need a hardware upgrade.

Going to agree. The HD 4600 will work but not well.

Going to agree. The HD 4600 will work but not well.
I don't know man.... check the numbers:

Scored a 4550:

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/Intel+HD+Graphics+4600/review

See all cards below a score of 4550, and comparable cards in the 4500-5000 score range (it ranked 65 so scroll down to investigate):

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu?_ga=1.181772963.588898294.1432046377

I've seen AutoCAD perform IMPRESSIVELY well on an HD4600.

Well, I haven't seen a new one work so I really can't say. I am just not a fan of shared resources. As for the tests those are better numbers for sure. I'd still have a hard time spec'ing a machine with those for 8 hr a day CAD/BIM use.

I've checked the dwg right now. Instead of use revolving to create a cylinder with a dome you could use the command fillet.

I think you will use a lot the command fillet for many edges or junctions of this model.

For this model I've used the command fillet, useful for edges and mostly for junctions.

ScreenShot001.jpg

Pay attention during the command to the selection order of the edges, you can obtain differents solutions...

ScreenShot002 copy.jpg

Hi,

I was trying to do the face of the transmitter and I like to draw the details on the side..I've placed a red circle on the attached photo ..Is it possible to draw on a curved surface in autocad..

Thanks..

Ensemble_capt.jpg

You could model one of those little nubs, then once you have positioned it correctly on the base part

use ARRAY with the Polar option to create them all the way around the shape.