Advanced Assembly questiion

gotchy

It is more than clear that my knowledge of assembly is limited to bare fundamentals. I now am in the middle of a model that requires more advanced know-how. I have a yoke that connects 4 jaws via individual pivots. The mating procedure was to mate the jaws face to the face of the slot in the yoke, then to mate the hole in the yoke to the hole in the jaw,concentrically, then to mate the pivot pin concentrically to the hole, then the face of the pin to the face of the yoke. So all that I mentioned should be permanently mated. I have no control over the motion of the jaws so that I can position them the way I want them to be fixed.

Is the first thing I import into the assembly the part that will be fixed? Is there a way for me to fix the yoke and yet free the jaws Image00704.jpgso that I can position the jaws to the opening that I want?

As always, I would appreciate your input here.

Gotchy

If you bring the yolk in first and not constrain it within the assembly the default position will be set to 'Float'.

Option 1 would be to position the yolk's planes to the assembly planes.

Option 2 would be to right click on the yolk in the assembly tree, right click and select 'fix'

either of these shall prevent the yolk from moving when trying to add the clamp arms.

• 3 weeks later...